What Do You Know About Down Syndrome?

Asked by dedicatedrider at 8:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Health

• I don't know much on it, I do know that it is nothing to terminate the pregnancy over! That they can lead successful lives.

Answer by mommy_bink at 3:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I know a good bit. My cousin shae has it. She is in her 40's. Hates crowds, and is the most organized thing I have ever met:) She's a ray of sunshine.

Answer by Jessnpat2 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Down syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Down syndrome or trisomy 21 (or Down's syndrome in British English [1] and WHO ICD) is a chromosomal disorder caused by the presence of all or part of an ...

Answer by vbruno at 8:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i have a 13 year old w. Down Syndrome...i was 27 and it was unexpected. Did your test come back that there is a chance?

Answer by cameron536 at 5:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son was born with Down Syndrome, we did not receive a pre-diagnosis, and learned that he had Down Syndrome a week after his birth. He is 4 months old now. I posted this question in curiosity of the general knowledge people had, as I really knew nothing about it when we received our sons diagnosis.

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I think I know a good bit considering I have a child who is 8 with it. She is the most loving and compassionate child I have ever seen, but at the same time the most stubborn! lol
    There are several great informative books out there and tons of things on the web. I am still always looking for new things to help Madison succeed more. I can't say it enough that Early intervention is huge and you really should look into different places you have in your city that offer it. Madison started when she was 6 weeks old and received speech, occupational, and physical therapy. She now only receives speech now.
    Our children are more likely to have health problems as well though and the common cold can turn in to pnemonia very quickly so just watch out for that. Since their faces features are a little smaller they tend to hold the colds in longer.
    If you can think of any other things just ask.. I will do my best to help you out!

Answer by kschaublin at 2:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Congrats on your beautiful bundle of joy! I have a Great Uncle whose brother has DS. I can honestly say that he is the sweetest man I know. He is so loving and kind... he truly lights up the room and can make you laugh at the drop of a hat :) Babies are a blessing, even if they aren't "perfect", which is a completely subjective term BTW. He IS perfect... in YOUR eyes, GOD'S eyes, and the eyes of many others who know that people with DS are people too :) Good luck, Mama!

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2008