How do you get your dogs to pee on a puppy pad rather then on our hard wood floor?

My 3yr old dog marley is completely house trained to go outside and do his business but i just recently added a lil teacup member to the family named hendrix and even tho we put puppy pads down and let the dogs out atleats every hour he still finds it necessary to pee everywhere. ERRRR what do i do? I dont want to put him in a cage or get rid of him but dang this is frustrating :(

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pets

• You have to watch him like a hawk. You may have to put him on a leash and tie him to you for several days. Whenever he starts to pee, tell him NO and take him outside. When he goes outside praise him and give him a treat. Don't use the puppy pads it will only confuse him.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We had a dog that ignored the puppy pads and we thought she would never be potty trained. Then one day she was. The enzyme urine stuff you can buy by the gal at Petsmart works for the smell.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• omg thank you so much
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You will probably also need to crate train for awhile. They are competing for territory not because they necessarily have to go out. I wouldn't start with the pee pads. I would crate and train to go outside until the competition is over and they understand that they are family.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I know you said you don't want a cage but crate help speed up the house breaking process and it is not like they stay in it all the time. They should be used when you can not watch them and to sleep. I leave the crate doors open during the day and my dogs will go in them ans sleep. It is really funny when my 80 pounder uses the 40 pounders crate, it's a bit cramped. ANyway i would not waste your money on the puppy pads all they do is confuse the dog. You also need to get this pup on a schedule. Take him out 10 minutes after he eat,drinks or plays. Do not leave him unattended either.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Ugh this is so much harder then i ever thought... i actually do leave there kennel door open for them to go in and out of as they plaese. weather it be to grab a bit to eat or a sip of water. Ive tried putting him in the kennel at night but all hendrix does is cry cry cry... lol ahhh im going crazy with this cute lil pissy bundle of joy lol
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You might try putting a radoi on the crate and leaving it on. When i first got my dog he would bark if he saw somebody but was fine if we put a towel over the door of his crate.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• use a potty training spray. spray it on the pad.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I just don't understand this, why anyone would intentionally train an animal to excrete in the house. If your ultimate goal is to train the animal to defecate in your house, then by all means keep using those pads. Animal excrement belongs outside, and even then cleaned up every couple of days. It doesn't belong on a pad, on your floor, or anywhere else in the house. Take the time to train the animal properly to go outside, so you're not on here in 6 months asking how to get your dog to stop pooping on expensive pads and start going outside.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2009