newborn's skin

my daughter is 1 month old and has a rogh patch of skin on her forehead above her eyes. the doctor told me to wash it with the dandruff shampoo seltzon blue (sp?) has anyone ever heard of doing this before? she also said to do it to her armpits and the red bumpy rash on her chest as well.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I would rather the baby had wierd skin than use that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Try Aquaphor...that worked great for my daughter's rough patches and eczema. You can get it at Walgreens
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes, I have heard of using that and I used similar shampoo with both of my DS's. That rash is "cradle cap". It's official name is seborrheic dermatitis, very common in babies. If you are nervous about using that type of shampoo, you can use the normal baby shampoo and gently brush her forehead with a soft brush, like a toothbrush, can help loosen scales or flakes. But that is a very common treatment for the problem. The other good news is that she as she grows it will disappear without treatment too, it's just a lot of parents (me included) like to get rid of the flakes for cosmetic reasons.

(I rub the shampoo on DS scalp, forehead and eyebrows and let it sit a bit while I wash the rest of him, then I cover his eyes with a washcloth and wash it off, carefully as not to get it in his eyes.)
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My son has the same thing we used baby shampoo and with a baby brush massaged his scalp, by the next morning he had already started to clear up a lot, then i put aquaphor on his face and the back of his neck, it took maybe 3 or 4 days to get rid of it.
    DestinesMommy

Answer by DestinesMommy at 4:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2009