Does this bug anyone else? (About Sweets and Junk Food)

...And they wonder why kids are overweight today.

Candy and sweets seem to be the reward for EVERYthing. If they answer a question right in Sunday School they get cookies or donuts or candy. He goes to a weekly club and he comes home telling about the junk they ate. We go to the grocery store and the ladies in the bakery whip out cookies and hand them to him without even asking me (I have to intercept them). In school they lecture us on sending in healthy snacks but the rewards were always candy and popsicles and who knows what else. There are other places we go where if something is done right or he's cute enough everyone brings out the sweets.

Is this typical where you are? Does it bug anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yep and that's why I balance it out with lots of fruits at home instead of junk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• That would bug me. People always ask if my child can have sweets. In school the rewards are things from the $1 store. So my kids don't get much candy, we are still eating halloween candy.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Um, no I dont' have a problem with it for my kids. But they are 10 and 16. We never rewarded with sweets ourselves, but I dont' have an issue with it. Although my 16 year old is addicted to candy it seems, so we've put a stop to that, or trying to at least. But he is FAR from overweight, he is 6'1" and about 134lbs of muscle, but we are still telling him to stop with the damn candy, because for him, he needs to GAIN weight, and gain the right weight, and he will not do that by eating candy and he's cranky lol. I think in moderation there is nothing wrong with it, but like anything, excess is NOT good for a person
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Life is short, you only get one and as long as my kids are eating a healthy diet I really don't care. They are active, we see a dentist regularly and it is what makes being a kid fun
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• yes- and i will not allow it.

food as a reward = life lesson that they do not need to learn.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Everything in moderation. I know my kids get rewarded with sweets and junk food at school. So at home they don't eat any. It all balances in the end. At home they eat healthy, with a few unhealthy snacks thrown in. I have nothing against cookies and chips.
    My kids are all healthy and normal weight and I've been teaching them good eating habits...to the point that they confront me on my bad habits and force me to eat healthier.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It doesn't really bother me but I don't seem to have that much of a problem...School rewards seem to be little trinkets form the dollar store, yes they have special 'parties' about 3 times a year. the local grocery gives out one little like 2 bite oatmeal cookie so no big deal to me. I dunno, like another poster said we are still eating Halloween Candy and they didn't even get that much. I also balance it out by not really offering it at home(we ocasionally bake cookies or cakes together). The closest my kids get to is 'regularly' at home is yogurt with mini marshmallows in it.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yeah, it bothers me. Snacks at church are always cookies and juice. I finally put my foot down about them being in the under 18 month nursery. That is just ridiculous. Seriously, goldfish are fine for that age. Everywhere she goes it's cookies. So we have zero at home. It's the only way to balance it so she's not eating a lot of junk every day. We eat 100% healthy at home so I don't have to stress when we're out.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It would probably bother me, but candy and sweet aren't allowed at my son's school. My kids don't eat too much sweets, they never ask for cookies or anything. Good thing we're poor and can't afford that stuff! For Halloween, I let them have a piece of candy and they were bouncing off the walls so you could tell they hardly eat sweets! But I think it would bother me if someone continuously gave my kids sweets.
    Anonymous

• And what would you suggest- "here johnny have a carrot"  Why do people on this site let stupid things bother them?  If it bugs you be the parent and just say no.  Leave the rest of us alone.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009