Is it possible my 18 month old is ready to potty train?

My 18 month old son has started taking his diaper off whenever he has the opportunity. He is my first child so I have no idea what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every child is different , however , it depends on the parents . i've work as a babysitter for many families and they all pottytraind them around 2 yrs old !

many ur babyboy has just "discover" a new way to have fun or sees it aa game lol

however , my exboss's mom said she potty train her kids when they were 10 mmonths old , but to me that sounds crazy lol

but you can give it a try , hes in a good age too !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• He has found a new trick. It may not mean that he is ready. They rarely are at that age. You can get a potty and try it out but don't expect it to work the first time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Put clothes on that are hard to take off. Little boy like their diapers off because it is fun and to play with their little bodies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Well I would say yes. but i had a girl the first time and we have something in common because i have a one year old daughter and my mother seems to think she needs to start to get on a potty chair. my oldest daughter was easy she did the same thing that your son is doing. so i got her a potty chair and bought what i call the big girl/boy pants which are pull ups. you can try to see if he is ready but from what i heard boys are harder then girls. so buy him one and then after he drinks and eat's put him on there and tell him to use it. you also have to try to make them feel like they are a big kid doing this and make it kinda fun that helped me. oh and get some kiddy movies and things like that that talks and show's kids about the potty. i hoped i helped
    MsBridges

Answer by MsBridges at 12:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yeah, he's ready. I am shocked at how many people are like "no, no one is ready at that age." Really? Why not try? Mine was done by 2. It IS possible. Yeah, you can wait until they can master it within 3 days, or you can be patient and teach them over a period of time. I know a woman who just waits until they're 3.5 and hands them underwear and says she'll spank them for every accident. So lazy (and totally wrong to spank for accidents). THe kids never have an accident. They were BEYOND ready. If you just hand a kid underwear and they go in the potty, they have been ready for a looooooooong time. My 14 month old even goes in the potty a few times a day.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OP-Lol. I put my son on the potty before his bath and he actually peed! His Daddy and I have always used the bathroom right in front of him so I think he knows what to do.
    Anonymous

• my dd was ready at 18mtys, iw nast ready lo. i was preggo ans sick but i did it littkle by little, at 24 ntsshe was fully potty train
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes! Why not?!!! My son is 18 months old and we're training him. If he shows and interest - even if he doesn't - why not start. From what I've seen parents have an easier time of training them the younger they start.
    DianalovesRich

Answer by DianalovesRich at 3:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my son has been taking his diaper off since 9 months and he's 15 months now, he thinks it funny to be on the potty and to see someone on the potty
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 5:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009