Series of Unfortunate Events

I saw the series of 11 of the books for sale...has anyones kids read these? did they enjoy them? Im looking for an 8yr old girl who loves to read. Scared to buy the series when she hasnt read any of them yet, but its a good deal..ANY INPUT will help. Thanks!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I actually read that series! I enjoyed them. But as I remember it there were 13 books. Maybe the collection you saw was not the entire series?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• yes no thte whole series, just first 11..thanks for the input...are they funny?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My son read the whole series when he was 10 or 11. He loved them. He couldn't wait to go to the bookstore each time the new books came out!
    jenzfoto

Answer by jenzfoto at 1:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My 3 daughters read them when I had never heard of them. They borrowed the books from their schools libraries. I picked one up one day to see what it was about and I was hooked. They are funny, sad, and a bit like mysteries with cliff-hangers and problem solving. Rent the movie first to get an idea of what the first book is about before you buy the series of books. Jim Carey acts in it and my 9 month old granddaughter is exactly like the baby in the movie...lol....she's so cute!
    I wish I could buy the whole series....it's been so many years I've forgotten all the different stories now.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Both my girls are readers and I just asked my younger daughter and her friend about it. My oldest and her gf love(d) the series. I listened to one of the books on tape. It's a little odd and a little dark as I recall. Nothing like magic or satanic. It's definitely for children but I don't know how else to describe it. The gf likes it because it's "different. it's funny." She said it isn't scarey. My other daughter doesn't like it. Go figure why. I would get a gift card or a gift receipt so she can return them if she doesn't want to read them.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My kids are 18,17 and 16 when they read those books they loved them. My son esp.loved them. I tried to read the first one and the parents died in the first chapter and that was it for me. It made me cry and so sad. My son tried to keep me reading them. I just couldn't-- he said one of the cool things is the vocabulary. He loved it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2009