sleeping on my back ok?

heyyy i am only 20 weeks along first time mommy to be and i heard so many different things about laying on my back when i see. i have never done it until recently where it has been more comfy than laying on my side like i usally sleep is that ok to sleep like that or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your not suppose to because your baby can lay on its cord and cut off his oxygen.
    Anonymous

• I slept whichever way was comfy. The ideal place is on your left side with a pillow between your knees. You are not far along enough to have to worry much, so if your back is comfy, then do that. Besides we all move around in our sleep, how we fall asleep isn't always in the same position we wake up in lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The cord thing is an old wives tale! Your body will let you know when its not ok! Its hard enough to sleep when you are pregnant so personally i slept in whatever position i felt comfortable in.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I would get yelled at for waking up on my right side lol, I had high blood pressure my last trimester. BUT my daughter was ON my left side, so it was physically painfull to be on my left side lol. I tried, but I always woke up in the am on my right lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I was always told that laying on your back was bad for the baby and yourself for many reasons. Some beings it can cut off air or blood flow. Like another mom mentioned above your not that far along to really have worry about anything. I slept which ever made me comfy when i was 20 weeks or so. Im 34 in a half weeks now and sleeping is a major problem. They say sleeping on your left side it the best way to go but for me its most definitly not. I have to sleep on mostly my right side due to the way my little man lays. However, im constantly tossing and turning through the night and i am always switching from side to side because laying on my back causes difficulty breathing. It also makes me sick. You will know whats best for you though. For now..sleep which ever is comfy to you.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• At 4 months you aren't supposed to lay on your back, not because the baby can lay on their cord but because when you lay on your back the weight of the baby, fluid and uterus presses down on YOUR aorta which can slow down your blood pressure and the blood flow to the baby!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My doctor had told me not to loose sleep over it . Left side is ideal but lie down which ever way is comfortable for you. I am 28 weeks now and right now I cant sleep in any positiion. I keep tossing and turning all night. My pelvic bone hurts if I lay on my right and my back hurts if I lay on my left and I cant breathe well if I lie on my back. So all night I just keep tossing and turning. Just feel fotunate you can still sleep!
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 3:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I had always heard that laying on your back would cut off the blood supply to the baby too. When I was pregnant though, it was much more comfy for me to lay on my back, so I did and never worried too much about it. However, when I was in labor with my baby and hooked up to the monitors, my doctor kept making me roll onto my side because when I laid on my back for too long my baby's heart rate would drop drastically. SCARY! So, for my next pregnancy, I will definitely not spend too much time on my back.
    tevynsmommy

Answer by tevynsmommy at 6:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009