NO BASHING

I have been at battle with my breasts for the last two months. I am feeding all day long. I am frusterated, she is more frusterated (she is 7 months old). I have decided to wean cold turkey. I need insight, mommies!
Thanks.

dorie84

Asked by dorie84 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your going to be in pain for a few days, after i stopped i quit pumping cold turkey. they got sooo swollen, get some cold cabbage leaves and keep a bra on and keep tons of nursing pads around you will need them.
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 12:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Not bashing but cold turkey will probably be MORE hell then what you are currently going through. It can be dangerous for you as well, making you more succeptable to clogged ducts, which lead to infection. For the sake of yourself and your child, I'd recommend weaning at least a bit gradually.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Do you already pump for a bottle so she's used to a bottle nipple or baby take a supplimental bottle? Two of my kids were only bf for first 7 mos and third one breast til 3 mos hospitalization and then both breast and formula til 7 mos old.

It's hard I know, I remember. Good for you for asking for guidance. My youngest just took to bottle with no problem after her hospitalization - she never had nipple confusion. Can you last bf just pumping til you can pump into bottle to orient her and with bottle nipple accepted, use some frozen bm and add to some formula for familiarity?

If you're really sad and torn about your situation, I know la leche league has great liasons to help with all sorts of breast fieeding situations. Don't be afraid to try them too for advice. You can always just say you'll think about it and hang up, go elsewhere for help.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I did the same thing with both of mine around five months. The cabbage leaves work wonders and when they are cold they feel good too! Also squeeze out small amounts in the shower to help relieve some of the pain, but not too much or you will keep producing.
    picot08

Answer by picot08 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes she is used to a bottle, I would pump and so her dad could help with feeding, so there is no confusion on that part of it...My boobs are just HUGE right now and its uncomfortable, but I know if I pump or feed her, then the milk will keep producing...?
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• So, are you wanting to wean cold turkey or go to pumping and bottlefeeding breastmilk? What kind of insight are you looking for?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Well when I was drying up, I would pump enough just to take the edge off. I've heard that cold compresses work well to. It took me a month before I was fully dry and even then I would leak a tiny bit or get that nipple sensation like I did when I was nursing. Also I've heard that binding yourself with an ace bandage helps as well. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I am not pumping or breastfeeding from here out. I just wanted to know how long I would be uncomfortable and if anyone else did it cold turkey, instead of gradually? When will the swelling go away etc etc
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• use cold cabbage leaves- place them inside of a good fitting bra. the enzymes in the cabbage actually help to dry up the milk. make sure that you place them all the way up as far almost under your armpit. plus, the nice cool feels sooo good!

for your sake, i would say that cold turkey is not a good idea. i had to do that with my last one, because of emergency circumstances. it was not a choice i would have otherwise considered ever.
    decongestants will also have the same affect, in helping to dry you up. just make sure that is you are miserable to pump off enough to ease the pressure, or let her nurse a little bit. production will slow down in a week or so, and then begin to drop off.
    i hate it for you, and feel your pain! wow, i remember those days. good luck!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• AH ok....well thatnk you ladies for all of your help. I guess I just have to deal with it! I know she will be a happier baby once she has a full tummy and isnt eating all freaking DAY just to be somewhat satisfied. I appreciate it.
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009