pumpkin bread and date bread?

I want to make a huge batch of pumpkin bread, because I have a huge pumpkin to get rid of. So all the reciepies i found have pumpkin purree, do i have to cook the pumpkin first of dig it out and puree it?
And date bread I found some recipes and one say to put boiling water over the dates, but it did not say drain it, but i am suppose to right.
My daughter likes to bake she used to bake with her "Grandma Cookie" but she died and I am not a good replacement baking partner but I am trying. Last time we made banana bread I made a huge batch (6 loaves and 1 pan of muffins) AND AS I WAS POURING THE BATTER IN THE PANS AND RELIZED I FORGOT TO ADD OIL OR BUTTER BUT IT STILL TURNED OUT MOIST AND YUMMY!!!

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 12:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can cook the pumpkin first, either bake or boil it. Baking will keep more flavor and then you scoop it and puree. If you boil it you can then mash it and there is no need to puree. Either way you get a better consistencey if you push it through a strainer at the end.

For the dates it is a good idea to drain them before putting them in the bread, try to let them sit and get as much water out as possible. But do not squeeze them dry b/c that removes the flavor
    picot08

Answer by picot08 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OP HERE-- Do you have to wet the dates.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Just FYI jack o lantern pumpkins do not make very good bread or pie. You want something called a "pie pumpkin" they are much smaller, but sweeter and much less stringy.

To make pumpkin puree just cut your pumpkin into largeish pieces, place in a pan with about a cup of water, cover and bake at 350 for about 45 min or until you can touch the skin and it feels soft. Touch it with a fork or something, not your fingers lol!

Once it's soft you can just scoop out the pumpkin and use a beater to make puree. the just drain off the excess water and voila!

Good luck! Making food from scratch is so much fun!
    Anonymous

• Awww, I love it that you are trying to learn so you and DD can make memories of your own. Every mistake is a chance to learn and a family memory. We still laugh about the mistakes we made in our kitchen...all those "remember the time..." stories. THAT'S what is important!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2009