How difficult is travel towards the end of pregnancy?

My husband and I took a couple months off from trying because we didn't want to have the baby in the middle of his siblings' weddings. They are getting married a month apart from each other next summer. We are now thinking it is a good time for us to start trying again.

My big question is: We are probably going to stay with his family for the month, from one wedding to the other. We will drive out there and back so I don't have to fly pregnant. Do you think this will be possible while I am pregnant? Neither of us want to wait another year to try again, so we want to make this work, if we can.

Any advice is appreciated and welcome. I am thinking we may have to wait, but I am really hoping not. I do have a call in to the doc to get her opinion as well.

KnottyNikki

Asked by KnottyNikki at 12:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I recommend planning any travel for the 2nd trimester-- usually that's when you feel the best. I actually felt pretty great until the end of the 7th month, but the 8th and 9th months were very painful and the idea of traveling long distances was too much. Be sure to take lots of breaks, and I recommend knowing where the bathrooms are in advance!

I flew across the country twice in 3 days while in my 5th month with no problem. Also, I did a lot of driving for work-- usually around 3-4 hour stretches, and it wasn't a big deal until the 8th month.

Have fun and good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I agree with Busimommi. I was due with my son on X-mas day 2007. I couldn't travel for more than 30 mins up until about 4 months b/c I was so sick. but in the 2nd trimester it got alittle better. I traveled for thanksgiving and x-mas to see my family that lives 4 hours away and was 8 and 9 months preg., and I have to say it's the stupidest thing I have ever done. So I would warm you to keep the traveling to a minimum after 8 months.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i traveled to germany in my 3rd trimester. i was about 34 weeks when i went over and a little less than 37 weeks when i came back. you should talk to your midwife or doctor about travel like you said but usually it is ok up to 37 weeks as long as there are no problems. flying within the country would be better imo than driving because it would be so much faster (assuming there are convenient airports of course). driving across country could be very slow because you will probably have to stop and pee a lot. :) i think you should hold off trying just until your due date would be 1 month from when you plan to return. and then you will have no problems
    Anonymous

• oh i should say that my flights were extremely uncomfortable though!
    Anonymous

• i did a 26 hour drive at 7 months and it was AWFUL. i was completely uncomfortable, my legs and feet swelled up. It really sucked. I recommend going in the beginning to middle stages of pregnancy!
    Anonymous

• This would be an 18 hour car ride, in probably 2-3 days. We wouldn't do it all in one day because we will have our dogs with us as well. We will probably do 6 hours a day. We may fly, but I doubt it because my husband is worried about flying being dangerous. I am not all that worried, but he is. If we do fly, it will be a connecting flight and about 4 hours total flying time.

If we are lucky, and get pregnant during my next cycle, I will be at about 28 weeks when we go out there and about 35-36 weeks when we return home. I think I am calculating that correct. We would be with family the whole time, so I would definitely not feel alone or too scared if something weird happened and I needed to have the baby there.
    KnottyNikki

Answer by KnottyNikki at 2:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I did several trips around the 28 to 35 weeks I have never had any complications with my pregnancies so my doctor was fine with it. He actually requested that I fly rather than drive because it would be quicker. With my first we drove on one trip and I did fine but it was uncomfortable. After that we flew and it was a bit easier on me because it was faster. Talk with your doctor and it will really depend on how your pregnancy is going. I hope it all works out for you.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• flying would definitely be safer ;) but i know sometimes people know that but still feel worried about flying. you said a month but the weeks you said are a month and a half to 2 months. just not sure if you realized that =)
    Anonymous