Driving after c-section

I've heard that it is recommended that you don't drive for 2 weeks, sometimes 6 weeks, after a c-section. Why? Also, did you follow the rules? What if you're not taking any pain meds?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I only waited a few days. I had to pick my son up from hockey - what was I going to do? After that, I kept driving. Walking up the stairs was hard, but my room is upstairs, so up I went. Do what you can. Try to take it easy. I healed fine, 2 x.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i dont think its bcuz of meds. Its because you may stretch or tear tissue
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I had 3 c/sections and my mom and sisters had them as well and all my friends who had them were the same as me....2 wks.
    Its because of the scar needing time to heal and be secure. Dont want it ripping open.

And yes, I followed the rules and I was NOT on pain meds either..still followed them tho.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• they also tell you not to lift anything heavier than your baby...no climbing stairs.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• like pp said its not for the pain its so your scar can have time to heal, yes its a pain in the butt having to ask someone to drive you around but it is for your own good.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 1:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2009