Do you think it's tacky?

To have a birthday party for your child, then start texting people asking them to donate food? I mean, if I'm having a party for my kids and someone offers to bring something, I might take them up on it but I don't text people asking them to bring food. And if I was going to ask (which I probably wouldn't) I would at least call the people and ask, not text. Am I being uptight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• very tacky...unless its something like "can you pick up a bag of ice..we forgot"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I would just say it is a pot luck. If it is family, damn right I would text them to bring food. haha But that is just me. If it was someone not as close as family, I would think it was weird but I wouldn't say anything. Just grab what they asked for and expect to have a good time.
    Anonymous

• Well in my family we always have potluck birthday parties, But we never ask anyone outside of the family to bring food. That is tacky.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• That does seem weird and a little rude. I have preplanned that certain people would bring items but they are grandparents and aunts/uncles, who have offered to bring something or they make something I really want to have and I ask if they would do it (normally i offer to pay for the ingrediants). Just seems strange to ask the guest to bring things if it wasnt a pre planned pot luck style party which we have done before also.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think it's tacky...I mena if you want a pot luck-then tell paople that's what it is!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think it's tacky period. Who's actually throwing the party . . . the guests? Hey bring food and gifts while I sit here on my ass!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• A friend did that, but what she meant by "donate food" was bring nonperishables that could be donated to the local food shelter. It was her daughter's 12th birthday party, and the daughter's idea. If it was a case of "Bring your own food to eat because I'm not providing food" then yeah, it's very tacky.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Tacky. I can't afford to have a huge party for my son this year, no money to feed everyone so we are just going to have a special day for him where he can choose what he wants to do. He chose going to the movies and maybe some new clothes. Cheaper then cooking for a crowd of people.
    Anonymous

• If you do something like that be up front in the invitation not a after thought. 

Anonymous

• Eh, I think its tacky. Unless it is for a food bank, then that is doing something good for the community.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2009