Holiday / Gifts (PIOG)

Why do you feel you need gifts for your children for it to be a "good" holiday?

I just don't understand the rationale. If you cannot afford gifts, then don't waste your time trying to save money to buy them. Buy them food/ clothing every day of the year / as needed. Go looking at lights or volunteer at a soup kitchen and help someone else out who just might need a little more than you do. Enjoy your family. But why worry about "gifts" specifically?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Holidays

• Best childhood memories for me didn’t cost a dime for my parents.

Kids can be very resilience, the problem is; are parents?

It time to make new traditions that don’t cost money like spend quality time with them.
    Anonymous

• it's not JUST about gifts for me...but it IS heartbreaking to know you can't give them something (even if it's ONE thing) that they want because you can't find a jobe even though you have applied for over 200 of them.... I will do my best to make it a nice holiday regardless, but it is kinda depressing. It isn't THEIR fault, and I can't even give them rides places or money to see a movie once in awhile with friends or anything becuase there JUST IS NO EXTRA :( they deserve SOMETHING at least....
    Anonymous

• *job-not jobe...
    Anonymous

• Christmas is traditionally about gift giving. Children are exposed to the gift concept. It's all around them. I couldn't bear to see sadness and disappointment on a child Christmas Morning. Kids don't understand that clothes and food everyday of the year is good enough. And I don't either, because Christmas isn't a usual day. I think the soup kitchen is good. I also think helping children enjoy giving homemade cookies, poems, singing a song as a gift is good. As far as the children go...with persistence and imagination, it is possible to have a few gifts under the tree. I once got a $1300 king size mattress for free. I wanted a kingsized bed and by honest determination, I got one. I would be happy to brainstorm with moms.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 3:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Annonymous141, can you barter with someone for something? Is there something you can do for a friend who can reimburse you with a few bucks or toys? Do you have a local place of worship you could approach for a toy for each child? You could offer to clean or do clerical work for them to earn it. Sometimes churches have programs like the needs and seeds we had at our church. You put a need on the list and a seed if you have one. It usually works out that someone who needs something gets it from someone who is willing to give it away. Have you looked into toys for tots? Is there some way you can hold off on a payment and use the money for the toys? I feel for you and I encourage you to be persistent until something happens. You have plenty of time to invest in some beads or pencils or dollar items at target to put something fun together. Best of luck to you. Include your ideas for a lovely holiday and the spirit of it
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009