Holiday / Gifts (PIOG)

Why do you feel you need gifts for your children for it to be a "good" holiday?

I just don't understand the rationale. If you cannot afford gifts, then don't waste your time trying to save money to buy them. Buy them food/ clothing every day of the year / as needed. Go looking at lights or volunteer at a soup kitchen and help someone else out who just might need a little more than you do. Enjoy your family. But why worry about "gifts" specifically?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am not Christian. I don't understand what presents have to do with the birth of Jesus.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Because as a parent you'd like to be able to give your child extras on top of the things they need every day. Atleast that is how I feel. I'm one of those parents who saves all year long to buy my son nice presents for Christmas or his birthday because while he does have a roof over his head, a nice warm bed and food in his stomach every single day I think he deserves nice things even if it's only once or twice a year that he gets it.
    Does that make me wrong?
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No, doesn't make you wrong. The question was sparked by someone asking if they should sell weed for christmas money. There's a point where you just have to draw the lines and say there are more important things than gifts. My child is healthy, happy, and not hungry. He doesn't *need* the extra toy.
    Anonymous

• Are you a mother? Can you picture your average say 8 year old on Christmas morning with nothing under the tree? No I'm not gonna sell weed or do something illegal, and no they aren't getting a wii or something outrageous, but my kids will have something under the tree if at all possible.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I agree with you OP. I wonder the same thing..
    Anonymous

• Because my children deserve to have a little extra something at least that one day a year.

They wont get much but they will get something.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009