I tried to come up with a catchy question for this one but couldnt.... so if you are passin by could you please read :D

I am starting to potty train my DD a few days ago, the first day she went on it once. Now she will sit and thinks its fun by she will get up and do something in the bathroom and pee on the floor.... of course i grab her and put her on the potty..... She s very interested but i just need some suggestions. She is 17 months old and she grabs the toilet paper and starts wiping herself when i bring her with me when i have to use the bathroom. any suggestions would help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Totally agree, anon. I think most kids could potty train by 2, if their parents were willing to help them learn how. They just can't get it down in 3 days, so most parents aren't willing. Fine, completely fine, but don't say the kids aren't ready. They can be taught!

So, she's getting distracted while on the potty. We tear off small pieces of toilet paper for our littlest ones to drop in the toilet while waiting, get books to flip through, or a crayon and paper.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If you are not opposed let her see you pee yourself.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• She isn't ready to potty train. Most kids aren't ready until they are about 2-1/2.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No most kids parents arent ready until they are - 2 1/2. My grandmther had 5 kids trained, fully trained by 1 1/2
    Anonymous

• I would wait. It's very easy if you wait until they are 2 1/2-3. It honestly only takes a few days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My daughter trained in a few days at 19 months. Just don't make her sit on the potty, because it is boring and can seem like time out. Instead, put her in undies and a shirt, crank up the heat in the house, and wait until she starts to pee -- THEN move her to the potty. Reward her when a little pee makes it, and keep reminding her this is where pee pee goes. She'll learn quickly to associate the potty with its purpose, instead of possibly starting to resent sitting there. Many experts do say that bladder control isn't really achieved until 18 months, though, so it could be just a hair too soon, but I definitely don't think you need to wait until 2 1/2. You just have to be willing to clean up some messes for a few days...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I WAS TRYING TO POTTY TRAIN MY DAUGHTER AT THE AGE OF TWO-TWO AND A HALF, WITH THE POTTY TRAINING AND THE PULL- UPS AND THEN SHE JUST WENT BACKWARDS. SHE STARTED POTTY BACK INTO HER PULL-UPS. AND THEN I READ IN THE PARENTING THAT YOU CANT RUSH A CHILD TO POTTY TRAIN. SO I TOOK MY TIME WITH HER. THE THING THAT GOT HER TO POTTY AND STICK WITH IT WAS THAT SHE WANTED TO BE BIG GIRL AND CARRY A BACKPACK TO GO TO SCHOOL. AND NOW SHE BEEN DOING REALLY WELL, I'M SO PROUD OF HER. EVEN WHEN SHE SINGS HER GOING TO THE TOILET.
    momma060809

Answer by momma060809 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009