anyone ever heard of using selsun blue on a newborn's skin?

my DD is 1 month old and has a rough patch of skin on her forehead above her eyes. she also has dry skin in her armpits and a small bumpy red rah on her chest. the doctor told me to use selsun blue the shampoo on it. has anyone ever heard of this before?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would never do that!! Especially close to her eyes that crap burns like a bitch.

Get some aquaphor and try it.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have frequently heard of using selsun blue shampoo for sever cradle cap..but never on the skin esp. near the eyes. I think I would be looking for a new Dr. My grandson has severe eczema. Twice a day we use Aveeno Moisterizing baby lotion. It has no perfumes, dyes or alcohol. It won't burn. It also has dimethicone that forms a protective barrier and holds moister in.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My Ped told me to use on my daughter for cradle cap. I never did though, because I just never got around to buying it. I just used combed her hair while I was shampooing it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Selson Blue actually works very well for excema, my friend uses it, but I wouldn't put it on her face, if it gets in her eyes it will hurt. But put it on other areas of the body, won't hurt her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OP
    well i'll try to aquaphor that some people told me about but do you think it will work with the skin under her armpits and the red bumpy rash on her chest?
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• something about the salisytic (spelling?) acid in the shampoo works for it. The pharmacist said the same thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OP
    well ty everyone for the responses
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It's a doctor. You would rather trust people you don't know, who's background you don't know over your doctor? Yes, you need to be careful not to get it into her eyes but I'd go with my doctor's recommendation over us.

Anonymous

• Anon:39... I speak from experience my son has severe eczema.. I think i'd know what works. Sometimes even if someone isn't a doctor they do know what they are talking about from experience. Thanks.

AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OP..my experience is having raised a grown son with eczema, now raising a grandson for the last 4 1/2 of his 5 years with severe eczema and the fact I've been a Nurse with a license in good standing for 15 yrs. I would still advise you to look into another Dr. Since you posted this I called my g-kids pediatricians office and asked them what they thought..Dr. E. Johnson said and I quote " you tell them selsun blue should only be used near the crown of the head for severe cradle cap. NOWHERE else on the head." She did say using it on other parts of the body where you are sure it will rinse downward away from the face and not near the genitals is sometimes effective"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2009