How long does it take to get WIC ? & What items do you get with WIC ?

once you sign up for WIC how long does it take before you get the cards ?
do you get the cards that day ?

also how does WIC work what all can you get on WIC ?
i thought you could either choose between milk or cheese one each card or can you get both on each card ?

Also this is not WIC related but .

Is it true youre not post to eat any kind of delly Meats or Fish During Pregancy ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I got WIC yes I got my stuff that day and when I was pg I got like milk, chesse, eggs things like that and once baby came I also got formula and now I dont know if its for everywhere but where I live they have also added bread, jar baby food and fruits and vegs things like that but it depends on your situation.
    Anonymous

• I got my checks at my first apt. I live in Indiana, so it might be different for you. But we get checks for each month, and each check says what you can get on it. So for a month I get a total of 5 1/2 gal milk, 2 or 3 dozen eggs, 4 things of juice, 32 ounces of cheese, and 36 ounces of cereal. Once the baby is born I will be getting more. And our WIC is changing, so we are going to start getting other stuff this month too. Some states do cards, and what you get depends on household size and what not.

as far as deli meat. I have been told and read that you're not supposed to eat cold meat while pregnant. Everything should be heated up. But every once i na while I still indluge in a turkey sandwhich :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• For the WIC, I get checks, you always get them the same day you sign up. They are not good though untill the 13th of the month and they run out the 12th of the following month, If you are pregnant you can get it now. You get milk and then on another one you have the option to get cheese or to get more milk. I also got cereal and fresh fruits/veggies on mine. You also get the choice of peanut butter or dry beans. You get it untill your baby is 6 months old.

Also, I know you aren't supposed to eat certain kinds of fish containing lots of mercury and you are supposed to eat all meat well done, also you are supposed to cook certain kinds of lunch meats especially roast beef.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html

There is the link to the American Pregnancy organization, and what they say to steer clear of while pregnant. Hope I could be of some help to you, Good Luck through out your pregnancy.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i also get checks. and there are different itrems on each check. for me i get 3 check, my son gets 3. one of mine has 8 bucks in fresh fruits and veggies, the other two have a combo of bread, juice, milk, eggs, cheese, peanut butter etc. same with my son.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 2:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• oh and you get them immediately in your first appointment
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 2:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't know about WIC. While pregnant, you shouldn't eat any type of deli meat due to a bacteria that can cause listeriosis - not dangerous to adults, but very dangerous to unborn babies. Also as far as fish, certain types of fish are very high in mercury and should not be eaten while pregnant (including shark, swordfish and mackeral among others). You can and should however eat other types of fish (shellfish, salmon, etc) for the good fats that they contain.

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You can eat lunch meat if you warm it. I never warmed it.
    Anonymous

• so on the wic here i think you get 4 cards a month ..
    i live in kentucky
    Anonymous

• I know that the wic in Texas you get the checks that same day. and you get milk, cereal, cheese, tuna, peanut butter, and beans. also you get vouchers to go to the farmers market and get fruits and veggies. When my baby's wre born I got formula too. And it is very well needed. I don't know about any one else But i had twins and my formula bill was outrageous. also I know that you cannot eat fish with mercury. But, I ate lunch meat all the time. No problems with the babies.
    jacrain

Answer by jacrain at 2:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Fish is okay as long as you don't eat certain kinds and as long as you dont over eat fish. You will actually get Tuna on your WIC.
    As far as the WIc goes I'm sure it varies state by state but here you get like a gallon of milk per check, about 3 pounds of cheese per month, about two dozen eggs per month, about 18 ounces of peanut butter and one pound of dry beans. Also in Ga they are adding breads, baby food for when the baby sarts eating it, fresh fruit and other stuff. It really helps out a bunch and is a great thing to have. They space things out on the checks and you get about 6-8 per month for one person, plus you can get them for your kids as well.
    When you go in you will get the checks the same day. You may have to bring proof of income, proof of address, your id, social security cards for yourself and kids and proof of insurance (if medicaid and such).
    Its not that bad and is very beneficial! =)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009