why is everyone on cm so worried about autism?

i have noticed all the time there are soooo many questions from moms thinking their baby or child has autism. the kids doesn't talk alot....autism. the kid talks too much....autism. the kid is below normal....autism. the kid is smarter than average...autism. personally i think that there are obviously kids who are autistic, but also within the 'spectrum' of autism there are kids who are just a little wierd and the parents and doctors want to put that label on them to 'explain' it (instead of just admitting that your kid is a little bit different). so what's the big deal about trying to diagnose a baby/young child? why not just let your kid grow up and stop worrying about every little thing?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I totally agree with you!!! There's a kid I babysit and the parents told me he has autism....well I have yet to see any signs of it. I hate that people are so quick to label. Seriosly this kid acts sooo normal, I mean maybe he's a little weird, but what kid isn't? Once the mom comes around though he acts a little weirder, and doesn't listen very well, but the mom just lets him get away with everything and doesnt even dicsipline him!! Maybe THAT's the problem!
    Anonymous

• Maybe because early diagnosis and therapy is KEY to helping kids with autism? And because the new stats are that 1 in 91 kids has autism - and the number for boys is even higher? I think there's good reason for parents to watch their kids closely and have them evaluated by a developmental pediatrician if there are any concerns.
    Anonymous

• It's really something to worry about. Both my niece and nephew have it. It is very sad, I feel horrible for my poor sister.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think it's something in the food. . . . I mean, what else could it be? We have all been getting vaccinated for years, so if it was that . . . we'd all have it. Besides, plenty of moms who didn't vaccinate ended up with autistic kids anyway . . . so it's not that.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't know its like parents and adderol . "my 5 year old is really hyper and he get distracted easily and does bad in school cause he cant focus. Well DUH hes 5 but they are going to put him on prescription drugs cause the doctor totally agrees with it.
    Anonymous

• Like Anonymous said, early diagnosis is very important. My son is a high functioning autistic and I believe with every ounce of my being that if we had not caught it so early he would not be where he is. He just turned nine and we just started medicine to help him concentrate so the hurdles he has made has been all on him, his Teachers and his family. Our school system and state has done so much to help him along. Knowing what to treat is very important. My oldest twin, I knew something was going on with him but I just didn't know what. I knew he wasn't autistic but I knew he wasn't on the level he should have been even for a premature baby. It was heart wrenching knowing that something was wrong but I didn't know how to treat it. I imagine that is how these other women feel.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• When I was a little younger, ADD was a more common diagnosis and my brother was diagnosed with it. I don't think its the food or something you did, I would think its just the way a child was born. Children learn differently, they act differently, and not all of them are outgoing talkative and very smart children. There is nothing wrong with being different. I think it seems like at least here on CM that it is overdiagnosed and maybe we can't accept children the way they are, or maybe they need an outlet or other ways to approach raising and dealing with them on a daily basis. I don't know how severe a child can be. But what did they do with those type of children in the past when no one knew what Autism was?
    Anonymous

• Anon 306 in the past people just were not diagnosed and therefore never given treatment. My brother is undiagnosed autistic. My Mom always believed that my brother was autistic but could never get anybody to listen. He went through school as an outcast. Chalked up to being a loner and just bored in class. Now looking at the characteristics my son has, I look back and remember my brother being the same way. I am so thankful that my Mother pushed me, she saw my son mimicking my brother and she pushed. At 18 months old my son was diagnosed. He was immediately put into speech and occupational therapy.
    I have seen from one end of the spectrum to the other, while my son is high functioning my Husbands cousin is severely autistic. He will never live alone and never be able to have a conversation. At the age of 17 he recently got out of diapers.
    There are a lot of books out there written by adult autistics.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Actually it in the food...it's called MSG....it is a neuro toxin to stimulate our brains and when we are pregnant eating to much food with MSG can be linked to developmental disabilites.
    Our food supply has never before been so loaded with chemicals and MSG and that is why you see an increase in things like autism and speech delays.
    Good health starts in the womb
    cookmom69

Answer by cookmom69 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• kc932 - my sister's son is 6 and still in diapers. It's just heartbreaking. How did they get him out of them at that late age?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009