HOW DO I GET MY 1 YR. OLD TO STOP SUCKING HER THUMBS?

THE ONLY TIME MY DAUGHTER IS NOT SUCKING HER THUMBS IS WHEN SHE IS EATING OR DRINKING FROM HER CUP. I DONT WANT TO MAKE HER HEAVY WEIGHT. AND THE REASON I SAY THUMBS IS BECAUSE SHE SUCKS BOTH OF THEM AT A TIME. I HAVE TRIED ONLY SOAP AND HOT SAUCE -THAT DIDNT WORK. HHHHHEEEEELLLPPPP!!!!

momma060809

Asked by momma060809 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why is this a problem for you?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Just let her. There is nothing wrong with it. Hot sauce is mean.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You say the only time she is sucking her thumbs is when she is not eating or drinking.....I understand your dilema...I had a daughter who would suck her thumb, was told she better outgrow it or she'll need braces, etc. Sucking something gives our kids comfort,, but to what length do you allow them to orally fixate?
    Write down on a piece of paper keeping it near you often, and jot down what is happening around her during the time she is sucking her thumbs. If it is literally all the time, than write down what you are doing and your mood that day as well. Sometimes children react to situations by comforting themselves and their oral desires with sucking on something. I do daycare for a living and am a mom of two grown children - using hot sauce or soap brings mistrust and anxiety in your child. Don't want to get off on the wrong foot especially when they are so innocent.
    saykay

Answer by saykay at 3:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I won't even tell you how long I sucked my thumb but it was for a long time. My parents finally took away my special blanket and then I began sucking my thumb in secret. Don't make your daughter feel like she is a bad girl because she is a thumb sucker. Kids have a need to suck and she just uses her thumbs instead of a paci. This isn't a refelction on you that she does this and she is too young to understand why she is being punished for it. I would let it go. Maybe try to engage her in games and activities that require her hands- like puzzles or rolling the ball to you, etc. I am sure she will outgrow it eventually. Does she have any other comfort items- a special blanket or stuffed animal? Having one could help her feel more secure and lessen the need to suck as well.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• kids usually out grow this on their own if their parents DON'T make an issue of it
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• TRUST ME, shes too young and its not going to hurt anything yet. Maybe when shes older and can understand not to suck her thumb but shes just a baby right now. TRUST ME.
    my2turkeys

Answer by my2turkeys at 5:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My DD is almost 9 and still sucks her thumb in her sleep. The orthodontist insists that once he starts his work, in about a year, she'll stop. He said until then, not to worry, that a lot of kids do it. BUT I would suggest trying to stop it way before 9, LOL.

At one, it's not a big deal but if you want to try to end it now, get some cotton gloves or mittens and use the new medical tape that sticks to itself but not your skin. Wrap a piece of that around the wristband of the gloves. We cut the fingers out of my DD's gloves because she said they made her hot and she only sucks her thumb. It works, for the most part. I'm sure it'd work better on a small child who can't pull them off in their sleep! (as my DD does!) Another painless way is to wrap her elbows with ace bandages so she can't bend her arms, but this would only work at night... can't really do it in the day-she couldn't do anything!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2009