Do you prepare some kind of dessert with dinner every night or only on special occasions?

A few people I know always prepare some kind of dessert (not always fattening) for the family each night after dinner. I thought this was a little much because my Mother would leave us to fend for ourselves except for holidays. How about you?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 2:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I prepare meals and desserts from scratch. I usually make a double batch of whatever I'm making as far as desserts are concerned and that last for 3-4 nights. So I'm only making desserts twice, at most three times in a week. I don't consider it a bit much; none of us in the house are even close to over-weight, in fact we're all very fit and we don't gorge on what is made until we're stuffed. It to me, given there are six of us, is a cheaper way to give a treat to those that have been good through the day. I buy bulk what I need as far as baking is concerned and it last between 2-3 months, sometimes longer (such as the flour I buy).
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 4:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I make one on special holidays and on regular days I make one once every 2 weeks.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I try not to make dessert too often
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I rarely make desert. I think it's more special then when we do have it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We sometimes have ice cream or something later in the evening. My 14 year old has ice cream every night.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I dont make dessert often but my dd will ask for dessert if she eats her dinner. She may have a girl scout cookie or a piece of halloween candy. We usually have somehting in the house she can have.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I only make desert If I have fruit to use up...like if the apples have been in the fridge to long I will make an apple crisp or apple pie....berries that need to be used up get made into different things.
    banana's are good in jello or a cream pie.
    cookmom69

Answer by cookmom69 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My SO's family makes a fattening desert after every meal! And they all wonder why they are fat. They blame it on genetics. I blame it on the fact that all they do is eat all day and watch tv. I know there really are people that have genetic weight issues, but these people don't. Every time a kid moves out and learns how to prepare their own food they drop weight sooo fast. It's the mom and the Grandmother whoi think they need to eat this much or they will "starve".

Anonymous

• we don't have dessert every night, but we do have it quite often, such as cake, or icecream. mainly icecream though.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 3:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I used to make dessert constantly. I would make a pie that would usually last 2-3days. Or a bunch of cookies. Or a cake. Since I've been pregnant, not so much. When the barfing stops, I'll do it again.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009