How Does Military Housing Work?

My husband is stationed in Mississippi for training. When his training is over we will be going to virginia. He has been trying to get information as to how to go about doing the paperwork required etc. If anyone knows anything else please inform me thanks

burksgirl12

Asked by burksgirl12 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Travel

• When he goes to his duty station he will be doing processing. That is when he will sign up to have on base housing. Some bases will move you in about a week after he signs up others have no room and you could be waiting from a month to 6 months. Depends what kind of priority you are. Thats how it happened with my husband we are station at Fort Drum NY. Feel free to send a message if you have any other questions.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You need to contact base housing to get on the wait list NOW. Base housing can often have a wait of over a year.

What base are you going to? I can help you find the info to contact the housing office.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 2:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Well, if you want to live in base housing, you'll have to have his actual orders in order to be put on the list. and you have to be there already, it will be one of the first things to do because the waiting list can be pretty long depending on the housing or you can get lucky and get a house right away. hope that helps even a little.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• you cant do anything. he can sign up for travel with you or delayed meaning you go after he has housing.

and it could take a week...or months....or he can just say he wants off post housing and you guys get an apt an dkeep your bah
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Actually, you don't have to be there already, you can go ahead and to the paperwork and get on the list. But, you won't move anywhere on the list until your dh finishes his school / checks out of the command he's at now. Then the time you're on leave and stuff, you're on the list and able to be moving up it.

Depending on the command and what housing you're eligible for, you could be moving right in, or you could be waiting a yr, or anywhere in between.

If you have the follow on orders to where you're going, then I would try contacting the housing office there and talk to them about the specifics for your family. (Number of bedrooms you'll get, what the list looks like, etc...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:22 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Where in VA? We left Ft. Eustis in January. You can call the housing office at the base you are moving to. I was able to get stuff done when we had orders for Hawaii. I think it depends on the housing company, really. It wouldn't hurt to call.
    If it makes her feel better to try to help, she should try.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2009