Is this the start of a bad habit?

My son is 11 months and loves food! Any of it and all. He doesn't eat jarred food anymore and simply eats all table food. Well, If I am doing something like the dishes, where my son can't come into the kitchen (there's a baby gate up) I will give him some food to keep him occupied. Like some turkey or carrots. And my son's father says that is a bad habit to feed him like that because it's not needed. So I guess I am just wondering if any of you have any idea as to whether this could be a bad habit to get into? I don't just feed him all the time like that, but I also don't want to start a bad habit...Thanks in advance :)

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 3:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not believe it is the start of a bad habit. I would stick to healthier snacks, as you mentioned, meat, fruit, veggies, whole grains. And make sure you have an eye on him, to avoid the concerns that the first poster mentioned. Babies and toddlers really need many snacks throughout the day, 2-3 or so along with their small meals. They understand their hunger cues and rarely overeat on healthy things.

My 2 year old DS was a great eater at that age would, eat anything . . . . I'd wish he'd picked up a habit, BUT now he's a picky picky eater, lol.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i wouldn't be giving him food, mostly because you are busy doing something else, and it is really easy for him to choke. i would put my boys in the highchair and put whip cream on the tray (like to play in it, and if they ate it no big deal), or I would have them playing on the floor with some toys. Good luck
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 3:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't think that's a start of a bad habit at all! Babies need to eat and need to gain weight. It'd be a little different story if you were handing him like cookies or sugary cereal all the time to snack on. Snacks is one of the easiest ways to distract my daughter when I need to get things done around the house.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• if u notice everyone is always giving babies food. i was and am still like that. i feel like i dont want my baby to starve,lol.sounds crazy but u can break that habit later on like around 1 1/1 or 2. i used to give my now 17moth old a snack bowl when she got up with coockies and chips and stuff( it would last all day and she could go to it when ever she wanted to get some. but now i put less in it and wait a little longer to give it to her.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The part that is "bad habit" is giving him food to keep him occupied. He should be eating three set meals and 2-3 set snacks.
    Anonymous

• I'm with Anon 4:43. I would use a toy to occupy him or your husband could occupy him while you're in the kitchen. My daughter is only 3 months old but my husband rarely will just pick her up and interacts with her on his own. He thinks until they are a little older, babies are boring. So when I need to cook dinner or clean up after dinner, I will literally just hand her to him and walk away and start doing what needs to be done. Another thing you might try is putting child locks on your cabinets and leaving one cabinet with kid safe stuff in it for him to mess around in. That's actually what I'm planning on doing once she's mobile and my husband isn't home.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009