Does any one else have a child that has seizures when they get a fever?

My son started having them when he was 1yr old. And now everytime he gets a fever he has a seizure. also he has had a scan of his brain and have found no other reason for them except for the fevers.

jacrain

Asked by jacrain at 3:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kid did that once the doctor said thats what happens when he gets to hot. He said that they have no real explanation as to why it happens but it does.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My neighbors son does this he is 3 now, she said they never could explain why it happens but that he would eventually grow out of it. She keeps a really close eye on him anytime he is exposed to illness.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Hi Hon!! First of all, take a deep breath and let me put you at ease! I have a now 9 yr old who got 2 of these fever induced seizures when she was 6 months old and 16 months old. My doctor told me they are hereditary, so check with your parents (if still alive) to see if you or your husband had them. I did when I was little, so that made sense my daughter did too. This is called a fibrile (spelling?) seizure, and it will go away after they reach 5 yrs old or so. My daughter's went away after she was 5 or 6. Scary - I know - because you can't stand seeing them go through it. I'm sure you know what to do now, but if you have any more questions, let me know.
    saykay

Answer by saykay at 3:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my youngest does.

whenshe has a fever, as well as the barometric pressure.

no other diagnosed reason for her seizures - about 5-10 a month.

she's on an anticonvulsant to control them.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• yes my dd has had 2. one at 14 mts the other at 17 mts. but luckily only 2. but everytime she gest a fever i freak out
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Aren't these the scariest thing ever? My DD was 11 months and my 3rd child, I had never experienced these before. I was petrified. I did learn from this experience that I needed to really watch her when she started showing signs of being sick and as soon as she showed any signs of fever I would try to bring it down immediately. DR wasn't concerned said it was normal in some children.
    Anonymous

• My son had 2 of them less then a year apart. he only got seizures when he got a high fever. he has not ( knock on wood) had any seizures in the past year and half. It was very scary for me to see my son have these seizures. but now when he gets sick his fever is not that high but i still get those scares when he is sick because i feel like he might have another one. It didnt happen with my oldest but now that i just had another child i will be more careful when she gets sick.
    SunshineMom45

Answer by SunshineMom45 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My second child had her first when she was 14 mo old! I was scared to DEATH and called EMS they said that it is something with the brain not dealing with body temp (at the time her temp was about 102.5) they said that you can just altranate the tylenol motrin to get the temp down and use luke warm cloths. I watched her like a hawk that night!! She had 2 more at 23 months old and her temp was a lot lower about 101. scary scary scary... although each time I took her in the ped said these kind of seizures are not particularily harmful and they should out grow them by age 5-6
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009