Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What if my kids don't get the 2nd follow up flu shot?

I allowed my children's doctor to talk me into giving all three of my kids the flu shot. After some research, I regret that decision, and never took them back for the 2nd follow up shot.

Is this going to cause any problems, or will it just mean the flu shot they received won't be as effective?

Answer Question
 
AnimalsLady

Asked by AnimalsLady at 3:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I thought the whole reason getting 2 shots was to make sure it worked? I dont know my kid has a doctors appt tomorrow Ill ask them then.
    armywife2009101

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • i did that last yr my lil one only got the 1st shot and nothing happend. she is 17months now.
    angelairelan

    Answer by angelairelan at 3:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • They only have to get two doses the first year. The vaccination they did receive won't be as effective. They will not be harmed by not getting the second dose.

    I'm waiting impatiently for my sons to be able to get the second dose. We're hoping they get it in the office in the next couple of weeks when they need it.
    TiccledBlue

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • There is no harm at all in stopping at any point in the series of any vaccines except that they MAY not be as effective. 70% of the people have full immunity to pertussis after 2 shots, but the other 30% take 2 more and instead of testing titers they just give 4 shots across the board to catch that 30%. Personally I don't think the flu shots work at all and actually weaken your immune system and make you more vulnerable to catching not only the flu, but other things too.
    aeneva

    Answer by aeneva at 5:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • Just won't be as effective, as if it's effective at all.
    Autumn22

    Answer by Autumn22 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • they only got half the dose thats all.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • why do you regret it? it prevents them getting sick.

    if you dont get the 2nd, you didnt get the full deal and if you ever want to get it, you have to start over with the first shot cant be more than 6 months apart
    moki1984

    Answer by moki1984 at 6:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN