My son's speech teacher gives assignments of 10 words for my son to practice at home. One of the 10 words was beer. I am very upset about this, am I over reacting?

By the way, my son is 6 years old and in the 1st grade.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's inappropriate for first grade. But I did see that word pop up in some of the spelling materials we worked with.

I would contact the teacher and talk (calmly) to her about your feelings regarding this word and it's use in First Grade.
    Anonymous

• There might be a legitimate reason to use the word "beer" -- maybe you could change it to "root beer"?
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If it is for speech therapy and you disagree, maybe ask if there is another word you can substitute?
    I ran into this a couple times with my son's Speech teacher. She just had us skip words that we objected to or gave us alternative words.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• speak with the teacher. i agree, it's inappropriate for first grade. maybe change it to deer if they are working on double vowel sounds, or bee. or bear if they are working on the letter b.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes it is inappropriate. Obviously, teacher did not look over her lesson plans. Bring it to her attention. I mean if your son was in class and answered a question with the word "beer" the teacher would probably reprimand him for using the word.
    Anonymous

• Why does a word upset you? She's working on the long e sound. It's just a word.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I would find out why she chose that word. Maybe it's just a typo. Otherwise, maybe she had a good reason for using it. I can't think of what the reason would be, but before getting overly worked up, I'd try to find out the reasoning behind it. Then, maybe just politely point out to her that it's not the best word to use in a situation like this.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes, I met with his teacher and she said she was sorry for upsetting me but that she don't think that it is as big a deal. She said that she would not use that word anymore but in a way acted as if I was being a tad petty about the issue. That irritated me to no end. He is 6 years old and that to me is a very inapropriate word for him to be saying correctly. I crossed out the word and he wont be practicing it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The word upsets me because it is an inapropriate word for a 6 year old. Would it upset you teamquin if your child was practicing how to say sex? There are certain words that young children do not need to learn how to perfect to say because with saying words they begin to ask questions about their meanings. She was working on him practicing saying his R's correctly at the end of a word. She could have used deer, it was one not used on the paper.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• This is such a stupid argument. It's a word. One your child will see & hear often in their life. It is in no way innappropriate for a child of any age to know what a beer is or to be able to say the word correctly. The only thing innappropriate would be if they were drinking it.

Beer can't make you drunk unless you drink it! Get a reality check and stop freaking out over stupid petty sh*t. Really there aren't bigger issues in your lives? Geez
    Anonymous