Please help me im going nuts!!!!!!!!!!

my 1 year old wont eat or drink out of a sippy cup. im trying to feed him and he just crys or throws food around or spits it at me. he wont drink out of a sippy cup or even hold his own bottle. im going crazy i see babies that are half his age that hold their own bottle or at least feed themselves. he will pick up something to eat and throw it down. im at my wits end i just wanna run away. i dont know what to do anymore im so tired of trying to feed him. i need some one to tell me what to do or things to help. i cant be a sahm anymore if this continues

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know you are frustrated. Keep offering him the sippy cup and eventually he will realize that if he's thirsty that he will have to drink from it. Don't worry -- your son won't starve and he will get the hang of it. Good luck.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my Neice will be 3 in march and she didnt eat baby food and still to this day it is amazing if my SIL can get her to eat a quatrer of what my son, the same age, will eat. Trust me if he is hungry he will eat. Just keep offering it to him, punish him for throwing food, because that is just not acceptable. And the same thing goes for the sippy sup. If he knows how to drink out of one then just set it down so he can get to it when ihe is ready, keep affering it to him but dont push, he probably just wanta to do it in his own time. If he gets thirsty enough he will drink! If he doesnt know how to use a sippy cup then just keep a bottle in his reach. Just be consistant with the punishment for throwing food, that is one thing i cant stand when my kids do. Hope I helped some! GOOD LUCK!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• if you are feeding him at the same time every day and this is the reaction everytime, than try feeding him at a different time (maybe his body is requiring a new sleep schedule). Feeding him an hour before nap time or 1/2 hour after waking makes a huge difference! I do daycare for a living and found this to be true with our young ones. Doesn't make it easy for everyone else - but at least I'm not wearing our food we serve him anymore!!!! Sippy cups are tricky - he may want to explore with the top off and only a quarter inch of liquid in at first. If he spills, so what! he may just be confused as to what to do with it in the first place! Just cause we adults know you drink out of them, doesn't mean 1 yr olds do!!! He may appreciate the cap after getting messy a few times! Drink out of it and show him how it's done first before giving it to him.
    saykay

Answer by saykay at 4:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my son NEVER held his own bottle, he got even more mad the more we wanted him to - he didn't drink out of a sippy cup til 15 months but did a regular cup fine at this age with guidance.. my son went through a throwing food stage too - not very long cause I only gave him bits of food at a time - remember not to compare cause NO 2 kids are alike - my son just turned 2 and still I have to cut most of his food or he shovels it all in and chokes..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I agree with maxsmom! Try not to compare kids. It is tough not to see others the same age doing better and not feel like yours should be there too, but it's no big deal. Really, it isn't. My son went through this stage while he was teething and his ped said that he wont let himself starve. If he is hungry, he will eat and eventually he will learn that if he wants a drink, he has to use the sippy. Just try not to give him anything but what you want him to drink/eat. Don't give in if he wont drink the sippy, stick with it and he will learn. You're doing great and it will pay off in the end. Every mommy gets to exactly where you are at some point, and we all get through it somehow. ;-)
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2009