Why do Christians (as a whole) get so offended when they are lumped in to a category with Muslims and Jews?

Judism, Christianity and Islam all started with the SAME man! Abraham. The religions that he inspired have very much in common and have many differences.

I just answered a post (poll) where the OP was trying to see who's beliefs fell where. She lumped the three Abrahamic faiths together simply because the polls only allow for 6 choices. Out of 14 (current) comments 10+ were all the same "I'm Christian and I have NOTHING in common with Muslims" or "Christianity doesn't belong next to Islam."

What's the deal here? Why are so many acting as though they were insulted simply because they are being placed in a category where they belong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are a lot of people out there who profess to be christian but they really don't understand the religion. Some are what I call default christians, the ones who celebrate the holidays and get their babies christened and such because it's the done thing. Some are members of churches that claim to be christian but aren't really and they've had their heads filled with nonsense. Any christian who actually understands their own religion understands that there are numerous parallels between the three Abrahamic religions.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Because when you've been told your entire life that you're a precious, unique little snowflake, it's hard to deal with reality when it slaps you in the face.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Because Islam is the enemy of Christianity and Judeaism.
    Anonymous

• THANK YOU ANON 4:02!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Seeeeee
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Because when you've been told your entire life that you're a precious, unique little snowflake, it's hard to deal with reality when it slaps you in the

WOW you are snot filled with judgment.
    Anonymous

• because THEY are NOT in the same catagory.
    Anonymous

• YIPPPEEEEE

another game of bash the Christians. Haven't had one of those in a few days...
    Anonymous

• OP here - I see no reason for this to turn in to a bash fest! I was simply asking a basic question.

There were no Jews or Muslims arguing or claiming they were put in the wrong grouping, why do Christians feel that way? All 3 religions started out as 1... I am simply trying to understand why there is so much hate between them?
    Anonymous

• I agree with NotPan...

The religions all fall under the same umbrella - Christianty!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2009