At what age to begin wearing bra?

The school gave my DD a bra today. First of all, my daughter is a bit chubby so her chest isn't exactly flat but I see no need for a bra. She is only 8 and in 2nd grade. She hasn't begun puberty yet. School resources seem to be shoving things like this on us all year long.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 4:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would be ON THE PHONE with that school nurse! She should be calling you right away if there is something wrong with your dd that would involve giving her something as personal as a bra. I check out your dd's pic-she really does not need one.
    My dd is 91/2 and (my dh and I held her back) she is in 3rd grade. She no need for a bra. She started bugging me about it last year as one of her younger classmates-age 7 was wearing one. I think it's just pushing adulthood sooner and sooner on our kids.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OMG!! They gave her one??!! How embarrassing for her. I can't believe they did that!! That is not right.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Public school? There must be more to this situation. What other kinds of things are they "shoving on you?"

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I guess it depends on when.. I think I was a freshman.. But I was really skinny and flat.. Thats odd that they gave her one tho.. Never heard of that.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• She had two shoe incidents where some flip flops broke during school. And then Sierra snuck and wore a similar pair that also broke. So two pairs of shoes and socks were given to her. They also keep checking her hair saying they see lice nits when it is just dandruff. Her hair has been treated and doc sees nothing wrong. THey are just trippin! The damn nurse doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I've never heard of that. I know when i was in grade 5 they gave all the girls pads and deodorant and what not. They gave the boys things like that too. But we were all 10 and 11 years old.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Heh, I'd have her decorate it with sparkles and paint and hand it back to the them. WTH?
    Anonymous

• Maybe they think your family is in need. I'd go in to the school and give the bra back with a "no thank you" we will buy her one when we think it's time.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• haha. Anon I like your suggestion. Here's the most recent pic I could find. Its not the greatest pic. I'd rather show a side view but I can't find a recent one.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/salemwitchchild/Family/Halloween09/DSCF0017.jpg

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The only thing I can think is that when I picked her up I noticed the shirt she wore today is a bit thin in material and it shows through a little. Perhaps thats why. I will make sure she doesn't wear that shirt to school again. Otherwise I can see no reason why theyd give her that.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009