How much to pay a babysitter?

I have two children. 2 1/2 and 8 months. She will have to put them to bed - which consists of a bottle for the 8 month old and probably repeated walk backs for the 2 1/2 year old that doesn't really like to stay in bed. Other than that it should be an easy night beginning at 6pm and ending as early at 9pm or as late as 11pm- depending on circumstances.
Thank you in advance,
Jamie

lyn141

Asked by lyn141 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I pay $10 per hour.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• What are walk backs? how old is the babysitter? and also, is the babysitter beyond their years as to being responsible and trustworthy enough to ask to come back? If the answer to these questions is yes - $10. If the babysitter didn't do the dishes and didn't leave the house looking even better than it was before and still kept the 2 1/2 yr old up, than $6 hour.
    saykay

Answer by saykay at 4:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Honestly for that I would pay $15-$25 its not that much work the sitter will have to do but you want to make the baby sitter feel like shes getting something out of it I always pay my daycare lady $35.00 for 6 hours just because {i always think this will make her want to be nicer to my son} maybe im silly but what the heck someone left a message $10 an hour she pays that's ridicules & outrageous even if you have money that's stupid $20.00 is perfect take care and good luck
    doms_mommy

Answer by doms_mommy at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• saykay, she's a babysitter not a house keeper!!! I understand doing the dinner dishes that were used and picking up after the kids. But to expect them to clean your house is a bit of the top! Anyhoo, a lot of things factor in like age and such. I would make up a weekly rate if you work or need her full time every night, otherwise i would say between $20-$25 if she's only there til 9 or $35-40 if she's there til 11. As you can see it would be better on your wallet to work out a weekly pay rate
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My daughter was paid 10 an hour.She did not make the house better than it was.If she prepared dinner,lunch or snacks she cleaned up after her self.Put up toys that were used and maybe all the toys but No one expected her to clean up their dirty dishes.She could have worked every weekend night and all summer long if she chose.What she did do was play with the kids,read lots of stories in character and for the "older" kids-grade school-play endless games of monopoly till bedtime.No phone or tv till the kids were in bed She was tipped really well also,We were lucky we had the same type of babysitters and she learned by example LOL by her jr year people would book her Sunday after church since she had dates and school events on the weekend nights.Look for this type of sitter and don't worry about the dishes.With ours we paid well so she sat during breaks in college.

Anonymous

• My 14 year old is Red Cross certified; she charges $8 an hour for two.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm trying to get baby sitting gigs and i'd probably charge 20 for the night... 30 if you seemed like the kind of couple that could afford it
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2009