Taking Away his Bottle & Binky

Hello I seen a topic about how old should my baby be when I take away the bottle? Well mot of them said about a year hmm Well my son is 17 months and still on the bottle I do get WIC a program that helps with food for the baby and gives you info on where the baby should be at what age, she has been telling me for sometime now to take him off Ladies I just dont know how he loves it so much & honestly I dont know how much or when to feed him he eats throughout the day like french fries cereal, chicken nuggets, snacks too I guess fruit ETC he will eat pretty much anything we give him also the binky is an issue he wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes crying & we give it to him & hes back asleep I guess its just the easiest way so what Im asking on help with is How do I take is loving bottle from him & his binky during the night? thanks so much girls

doms_mommy

Asked by doms_mommy at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i took my son off the bottle when he was 1 yr old exactly! on his bday he didnt get a bottle, he cried a little bit i just kept giving him his cup and he eventually went to sleep using his cup as far as the binky goes my son is still on the binky and it will be hard to take it because like urs mine wants it when he gets up in the night, but he only uses it for naps and night time now and soon he won't get it for naps and then we will do the night thing just slowly take him off of it
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 5:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My daugter is 21 months old and never had a problems with the binky. She still takes a bottle at night, but is showly less interest in it. Start by just giving it a nap and bedtime, then a week later, just at bed time. We have been stuck at bedtime for about a month, but I see a rainbow through the clouds.
    Shannon3390

Answer by Shannon3390 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• As to my last post, your child may cry, may scream, may go without a nap for days. Be strong and good luck.
    Shannon3390

Answer by Shannon3390 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I am in the process of taking my 14 mo old off the bottle right now. Here is what i am donig... just giving him a cup during the day... my husband does cave and give him a bottle at night but we have talked and by this weekend he will just be on cups! As for passy... ohh that is ROUGH! don't stress my two older ones were 3 before they gave them up...or should I say... they were TAKEN from them...oh yep it was NOT pretty one BIT!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Ok I remember with my daughter I started giving her a 'straw cuppy' (thats what we called it tehe). She was not yet 12 months. I am one for doing things gradually.
    I would take the bottle away before the binky. Maybe start only putting water in the bottle and for everything else use a sippy or straw cup. Or even take him to the store and let him pick out something cool. Give him a couple weeks and when he gets used to using the cup more he will not mind so much when you take the bottle away.
    My son is 15 months he has never used a bottle and never wanted the binky. ::hangs head::
    I remember with my daughter we started only giving her the binky at night this went on for a little while and eventually she just went to sleep without it.
    Give him time momma.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009