Question for those that used "CIO method"

How old was baby, how long did it take to work? How long did you try other things before trying CIO? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CIO advocates say six months.

I tried it at six months for one week. Didn't work. I moved on. What DID work was to stop interfering with my son's normal sleep pattern. When I went with his sleepy times he started sleeping longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We went to the cio method once our son slept about 6 hours a night...around four months. He is almost three now and occasionally wakes up and cries, but we let him for about five minutes (unless he is really screaming, like a nightmare). He usually rolls over and goes back to sleep. We learned to jump up and go in right away would actually cause him to wake more.

If your baby isn't sleeping well, it could be an overly hard mattress. We had to get a foam pad to cushion ours(once our son could roll over no problem-about a year old)
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 4:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• There are so many other "sleep training" methods why would you pick the one shrouded in controversy? Or the one that goes against every motherly instinct we are all entrusted with? Have you tried other methods? The No Cry Sleep Solution? We waited for our children (10, 6, 3) to sleep in their own time and never once have we had a problem with sleep or nightmares, our LO actually laughs in his sleep.

Anonymous

• WE used kind of a modified CIO method. We started at 2 months old. one nap a day. Once she got used to falling asleep for that nap we moved on the the next. Usually a week or two. We would nurse, cuddle, lay her down and leave the room. She would fuss for about 3 min. I would go back in and comfort her then leave again, never picking her up just rubbing her back. Then 4 min. Then 6 min, then 8 min so on until she slept. She did get it. All other naps I would rock nurse what ever to get her to sleep. she was taking all of her naps with no assistance by 4 months old. I nursed her to sleep for then night until she was about 7 months old(more for me than her-I loved it). At that time she dropped the nursing on her own. there are other methods. i would suggest reading several books and then taking what you like from each and making your own 'plan of action' Good luck.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• we had a set routine for bedtime since about 3-4 weeks old...i know that sounds too early, but i just tried it out and thats what she went with..and thats what weve been doing ever since..we usually only let her cry for a few minutes, depending on what kind of cry it is, most of the time shes fine, she just dont want to go to sleep even tho its very clear shes tired...for her naps we soothe her until she falls asleep..its just at night that we want her to be able to go to sleep on her own...the CIO method is not as horrible as some will make it sound, dont let anyone persuade you either way, there are pros and cons to every method, its just wich ever one works for you..GL!!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, I just started the CIO method almost a week ago and its going good. Whenever my son started to act sleepy I would go put him in his crib after a kiss of course, give him his paci and his blanket! Now, the paci and blanket is the ONLY blanket and paci that he gets when he sleeps. He never uses those 2 specific items outside of sleeping. They always stay in his crib. If he cried, I would wait 15 mins, go in there, pat his but, stick the paci in his mouth, and put his blanket on him. He'd normally calm down, if he started again, I'd wait 15 and go back. I have never had to go past 30 mins!!! The very next day, I put him in there for naptime and he didn't even fuss one bit! Every now and then, he will cry but only for about 7-8 mins and he is out. Now, when I put him in his crib, he grabs the paci and sticks it in his mouth and then, grabs his blanket and cuddle with it. He is out like a light!
    kht828

Answer by kht828 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2009