conferences for parents and teachers

My son is in kindergarten i went to our parent teacher conference today, and they said he is a wonderful boy and very intelligent. They don't think he puts all of his effort into his assignments however. How can I get him to put more effort in at school. I know if he isn't interested in something like writing he won't try he will do just the minimum that needs to be done. Any suggestions on how i can change this?

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good grief. He's in K - what are they expecting? If it's handwriting or something just tell him to take his time. Tell him if he rushes through it and it looks like crud that you will have him redo it or add to it at home (max 15-20 mins worth.) Maybe he'll see that he needs to take his time to do a good job rather than getting it done and done sloppily or not to the best of his ability.
    Anonymous

• Tell him that getting an education is his JOB and he needs to do his best work all the time. It doesn't matter that he is in Kindergarten or not, good study habits start in Kindergarten. When work comes home that is not up to par, have him redo it. Tell him that when he rushes through his work, he will have to redo it. Kids that don't develop good study skills in Kindergarten tend to not develop good habits over the rest of their schooling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• He's 5. Give him time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• He's 5. He's not going to give all his effort if he's not interested. You, me and the man on the moon can't make him either. He's 5. He's practically a baby. Kindergarten is practice for real school. Let it be.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes teachers have expectations for parents that are NOT a parent's job. If this were me I would let it go. If my son is behaving, learning and processing information and new material, is capable of displaying he knows the information....then I would not be concerned. Telling a 5 year old, "sorry son, your behavior is good but your work is "okay" but everyone knows you can do MUCH better" is rediculous. He may not be putting as much effort into his work because the energy it takes to sit still, follow directions, be a kind friend, and process information is a lot to do. He is doing very well and I would just let it go. Now if he was in 9th grade and a teacher says to you the same thing...then I would have a conversation with my child. While my son is young, as long as I know he is learning and getting the education, I am not too concerned with doing "okay" work but not doing EXCELLENT work.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. it is nice to have help
    jnthn949

Answer by jnthn949 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I always tell my son that the harder he works at school now the easier things will get. I try to compare also with 'rl' Mommy does things at work that may not be the most fun or interesting but its my job to do them. Right now, school is their 'job' If you find its a certian excercise that he just doesn't want to put effort into maybe try practicing it at home so that he can get it done quicker and be able to move o.

Don't stress about it to much. As long as he isn't frustrated and struggling it will get better!
    CyberBri

Answer by CyberBri at 11:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009