sahms, do you have friends that work?

I have found it hard to keep up with them (like chatting catching up etc) since I've had my son almost a year ago. I feel like we've drifted apart. Can anyone else relate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I have been there. I was a stay at home mom until my daughter was three. All I can say is enjoy the time that you have to get to know your baby as well as to do the things at home that you have not been able to do. You have to schedule things with the working ladies. I'm sure that they will appreciate that.
    Bells1158

Answer by Bells1158 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have a few friends that are working Moms & we have plenty to talk about. Most of the time I am more up to date on real world info then they are because I have the little extra time to read the news or I watch it while I eat lunch or fold laundry so if anything i am more informed about the world then they are & I am home all day.

usmom3

Answer by usmom3 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Oh, I am so in your shoes right now. I have to say that my one BFF finds a way to make some comment about me not working every time we talk to eachother. It's getting old and I don't feel like we can relate anymore.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have no friends anymore who work. I've tried to make some but all I ever got was snide comments about how I must be crazy to stay home or how it must be so nice not to have to actually work. I got fed up and said it's crazy to work just to have your paycheck go to daycare and then have to ask your husband for gas money because that would be my situation. And that what I do is actual work, I'm on call 24 hours a day and this is more rewarding than answering phones and filing, which is what I did before I decided to stay home. I'll get a job outside the house when my kids are in school but for now, this is my life.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I am a working woman and I have SAHMs as friends. I see where everyone is saying that the working women are making comments but I have it the other way around. Some of the SAHMs make comments on how bad it is to work while you have children. For some it is not an option.
    Anonymous

• anon4:47 that happens alot too, the sahm's get nasty about the fact that some women choose to work...sorry. I am a sahm with a best friend who works, and she makes a lot of comments about how she would go crazy if she had to stay home, but secretly I think she is a little jealous that i can do that. I would try to ignore the comments, or confront the issue head on if you are drifting apart. I mean right now its causing a problem, so talking about it can only bring a solution right? may not be the one you hope for, but one way or the other getting it in the open will help YOU. Never let anyone make you feel like what you do isnt important, sahm, working moms...we all love our kids and thats what matters. gl.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I've been a sahm and I currently work. Being a stay at home did drive me crazy and I am not jealous of sahm's. I love to work. I don't have any sahm friends either. I did but it was hard because i'm always busy. Now she works also but I'm working and going to school, so I still don't get to see her. She thinks I don't want to spend time with her...I'm just really that busy. She doesn't understand and because of that we hardly ever talk or spend time together. i've tried talking to her but the drama is a bit much so I don't.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i'm a SAHM....I have friends who work...Neither of us judge the others choices...or discuss it in a negative way.
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 8:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm a stay at home mom and almost all my friends work. I don't feel judged by them in anyway. They know I worked very hard out of the home for many years and I raised two of my three children working outside the home I know and feel their side of things too. I feel blessed to be able to be a sahm with my youngest. Everyone makes the best choices for themselves and their families.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 11:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009