Cough

my one year old and five year old has horrible coughs! What should I do? Oh yeah I have took them to the doctors and got meds but they just are not helping?

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Use a humidifier as often as you can. You could take them back or call the Dr but if they already gave you meds then there isn't much else you can do. OTC cough meds are not good for small kids
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My son kept having a persistent cough in the fall and spring mainly from the time he was about 7mo.old, he is now 18mo. old and this fall had the cough again. Last year his DR. diagnosed him with mild intermitten athsma. Has your dr. ruled that out? What meds were perscribed?
    Anonymous

• I just read an article saying that only 30% of the kids seen in hospitals have H1N1, that a different strain of rhynovirus (sp) (common cold) is hitting kiddos hard this year and many of them end up in respitory distress. My son gets croup ALL the time so we have a nebulizer at home, but if your child is weazy, or looks like it is really hard to breathe-take them to the ER.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Give the meds time to kick in. 2 of my kids have been coughing for a month, one for 3 weeks, the other for 2 weeks. They all just got put on meds yesterday and I know from experience it'll take til at least Saturday before we see any improvement. FWIW - my kids are on meds because they all have bacterial infections.
    Anonymous