how did the depo shot work for you personally???

I want to here YOUR experience not your mothers cousins friends. I got the Depo today after having to get my IUD removed because it was trying to come out. I couldn't get it replaced because i wasn't covered by insurance anymore so I needed to decide quick. I forget pills so I chose the depo. Is is going to be ok? am I going to get fat??? my husband was like "your going to blow up now like so and sos wife".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I didn't gain any weight. It was great for me. I liked it a lot actually. After my baby is born that is probably going to be what I'll do again. I have heard the nuva ring causes MANY infections. and that the IUD does as well, and is painful moves.. Etc.. I'm good with pills.. I just like NOT having to go pick them up at the last minute every month. I really liked the patch too.. But I don't think they do that anymore because of blood clots.. Anyhow.. I know people who say they gained weight.. But It was my sister.. who I don't believe. and yes from personal experience I liked it.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i used the depo shot for about two years. i liked it, bc it was easy. the only con was that i had random and frequent breakthrough bleeding for about five months, but then i pretty much stopped getting a normal period all togther. i was about 20 years old when i was on depo and i did not gain any weight at all... but i know people who say that it made them gain like 40lbs. but in my experience i had no weight gain. i would do it again, but you cant breastfeed while on depo. hope my imput has helped you feel a little better. truth is, if youre not using any birth control... then youre going to blow up for sure! :)
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I did not get fat. I did not gain any weight. I did get many yeast infections, lots of acne, and had spotting the whole time I was on it. I'd have more days with spotting than without. I did not get a full period though. I was also very moody. It was very effective birth control because I either couldn't have sex or was too grouchy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• DRM0329 Thats the only question I had for the shot.. is if you can breastfeed. I guess maybe I wont get back on it right away. lol.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I had a 3 month long period. it was miserable.

other than that I was fine.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I just started Depo been about a week my face is clearing up. And my food cravings are gone, I would get them due to my period, it was not fun. No spotting or anything so far so good.  I also read there is a low dose version now as well.  I might try it.  I would prefer to have less hormone running through me.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I never gained weight on depo but only used it about 9 months or something.
    Anonymous

• I was told i COULD breast feed. i just had to wait for my milk supply to come in- WTF?
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 5:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I was on the shot for about 1 1/2 years I loved it that you didnt have a period but the side effect of weight gain was SOOO not worth it. I gainned 60-80 pounds...I was always on the pill and gained maybe 10 pounds but as soon as I got on that i started shooting up and once I gotten off of it the weigh gainning stopped.
    Anonymous

• i was told i could breastfeedwith the mini-pill or mirena. my ob told me depo wasnt an option while breastfeeding. now im curious. i got pregnant while on the mini-pill last year (so i didnt want to use that again), and i have opted not to get mirena. still trying to decide what bc to use. but im def now curious about depo and bfing bc hali_taylor was told she could.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009