Do you think asking $5.00 per kid is too much for a kindergarten class party?

That's 100.00 for the class. What the heck do they need 5.00 a student for? To me it's crazy. Money is TIGHT. To me 5.00 is like 50.00

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't think it is too much, a Happy Meal is almost $4, everything costs so much, maybe a cake, sandwich, drink and a treat... easily could be $5! I am not discounting that it is alot, but what else can you do? I hope it works out mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• $5 is not that much. Try helping out with the parties and you'll see why it cost that much.
    Anonymous

• Maybe they are also using the money to buy a teacher gift? I was 'room mom' for my daughters kindergarten class, I could only get participation from about 6 parents. So when asking for $5 per child, I would only end up with $30 and end up paying for everything else out of my own pocket. I know that for some families $5 may mean the difference in eating or not, that's why I didn't let it bother me too much if I only ended up with 6 parents contributing. Those that can will and those that can't, shouldn't. So if you can't afford it don't feel obligated. Send a note to whomever is doing the party and tell them that you don't have anything to contribute financially, but is there something else you could do to help out.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If you cant, dont....just call the teacher and tell her that, make sure your child wont be singled out, that would make things worse. My aunt tries to make things happen in her class room by asking for 1 dollar a week. Or she saves up and throws her class parties herself. she does end up spending a crazy amount of her personal money but shes loved for it!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We have never had to pay for a school party,

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We have a great school. The parents are asked to sign up for individual items etc so that no one is stuck with a ton of expenses then the teachers gift is optional. Usually people spend what they can afford. You get the moms with the .99 pack of generic cookies and you get the moms who spend $20 on homemade snack platters. The kids don't know the difference between who brought what and everyone is happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No it is not much, but I do worry about the children who can not afford it or have parents barely making it = (
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2009