Picky eater... any solutions?

My daughter refuses to eat anything I make for supper anymore. All she wants is cereal. I refuse to give into her every demand. I think that what I am doing is the correct way to deal. I give her plate to her with 3-4 options on it, she will cry and whine that she doesn't like it, so then I just take it from her and only give her a small snack before bedtime is that the correct way to do it? I'm open to any other options. Thanks in advance!

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would make the snack something that she turned down for dinner. And no treats during the day so that she was ready to eat for dinner, or offering one of the parts of dinner to her as a snack during the day.

Answer by Bmat at 5:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Hi, have one of these at my house--LOL, I started looking at cookbooks with him, and now he goes to the store==with his own list of course, and helps me make something, if it was up to him he would eat Mac and cheese all his meals, LOL! It worked pretty well, he still has his moments, but I do give a couple of options at dinner too, good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Thanks, I am going to try both ideas. I need to break her from this habit and fast!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Whatever her age is; that is how many bites she has to take from what you make and then she can have the cereal.
    That is what I did and now they eat more of the options I make for dinner
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 6:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Maybe I'm to strict of mom but I never gave my son the option to be a picky eater. In our house we are allowed to 'hate' one food. For my husband its onions, for my son its Lasagna. Everything else he has to at least try. He didn't want to eat his dinner (of things I knew he liked) he sat there for a while and didn't want to eat. I told him it was fine if he didn't want to eat but he wasn't going to get anything else until breakfast. He came back in about 45 minutes and wanted me to warm it up cause he was hungry. He is 6 now and never had problems. He will even eat a brussel sprout! His favorite food is Broccoli!
    When I was a kid there was punishment for not eating your dinner. Usually a spanking. I don't agree with that at all. Kids don't like certian things just like adults don't. Best way to help any situation is communication.
    CyberBri

Answer by CyberBri at 11:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

• I have to be honest. I'm all for not allowing this to progress. However, I was also not interested in making food a power struggle. Unless there are sensory issues involved, picky eaters are most often rooted in gaining an upper hand in some sort of power grab. My oldest was a bad picky eater. We opted not to fight him on it. He got what we had for dinner or one choice. That choice had to be quick and easy. He could have cereal. He could have a sandwich. He could have yogurt. He could have something I could make fast. We would give him what we had and his option. It lasted longer than some would think acceptable. BUT, he's now 7 and on his own moving away from that phase of his life. We talk about healthy eating with him. We talk about choices. We let him help us pick and prepare dinners. Always have. He's no longer the pickiest of eaters. Pickier than some kids, but not picky.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• hello

i discovered a way for healthy nutrition and the best way to keep a kid healthy and under control.
    after that, they eat whatever they want ! It works . Send me an email and i tell you how .

best luck
    idealnutrition

Answer by idealnutrition at 9:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009