Do you want to have an open-casket viewing after you die? S/O

Wow, R & B is so morbid today..........

I, personally, do not want to be viewed at all after I die. I will concede to possibly my hand, like I got with my late DH, but anything more than that, no matter how badly the family members think they want it is disturbing to me. Don't get me wrong, if I'd been able to fully view my LH, I would've. I'm glad I couldn't. His hand looked 99% normal and it gave me closure. Seeing his face, even if he'd been unblemished, would not have. I want to be cremated and don't even like the thought of someone I loved being in a casket or buried in the ground. Cremation is so much more instant than a burial and somehow that doesn't disturb me nearly as much..........your thoughts?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 5:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I don't. People stand around and look at you commenting on how good you look. If I look good dead, I must have looked like hell alive. No, put me in some sweats, socks (no shoes), no bra, and close my lid. I'll be just fine - thank you.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I do not want to be embalmed, so either a closed casket within three days of death or cremation for me.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I too, hope I am cremated. As it is, I am claustrophobic. The idea of being buried, even though I would be dead is just very disturbing. When I'm done with this body, burn it for public sanitation purposes and dispose of the ashes.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• ya know- I always though I wanted to be be buried in a casket. but honestly, I've been to two funerals for friends in the past year and it didn't help give me closure. and the though of being buried underground??? it freaks me out!!! it's a huge phobia of mine. I remember after my grandma died i had a dream about her being buried alive... it disturbed me so much. I think I'm going to be cremated.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 6:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My husband and i want to be cremated. He does not want to be eating by bugs. He wants to be stead over the pacific ocean back home in los angeles.
    Anonymous

• i want to be cremated..i think my husband does to...he has actually said he doesnt care. I want all my organs donated to someone who needs them or to science if someone cant use them and i would still like to have a service just the same as you normally would and a memorial stone.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't mind an open casket.  It all depends on how good the body looks.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't care whatever my fam wants to do... i won't be there just an empty shell. I used to joke with my mom that funerals and caskets were a waste of money... should just dig a whole role a person in so why spend all that money... her and my dad went and made arrangements (lol) actually they both had beautiful funerals and caskets. but i have told my son not to waste a whole bunch of money on a funeral for me... a box don't care what it's made of... dig a whole, roll me in...

wink

Anonymous

• I will have my carcass burned. I do not want people gawking and bawling over my corpse. I bothers me enough that the hospital and mortician will looking at my nakedness and possibly doing perverted things to it. I'm one of those people who need to control everything and it scares me to think I will not be in control of my death, funeral and burial.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No, I don't want any of that. No viewing, no embalming, no funeral or service of any kind. I'd like my husband and kids to do what they need to do for closure, and I don't care if that's seeing my body or saying goodbye or whatever. Then I want to be cremated.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2009