two week old with a stuffy nose

the nasal aspirator i have is crap and doesn't do anything- its too big to even get in her nostrils

anything else i can do? she sounds pretty miserable and can't feed for long

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 7 week old is going through the same thing, and I can't find my asperator. I put her in her bouncey chair in the bathroom while I took a steamy shower to clear her out, it seemed to help a little. good luck.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i would go to the hospital and get one of theirs, they would give you one, in the baby area, theres not much you can do but maybe try a humidifier, might make it easier to clear her nose. or call your doc see if you can use vicks vapor, im not sure if its okay to use on infants, i know it helps me. GL
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• ok i have the aspirator i got from the hospital, it still looks too big to go in her nostril, how far do i have to put it in?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• about a centimeter not too much, i was told to point it towards their nose, like at an angle. most hopital ones will work fine. but if your concerned, then you can also go make a doc appt
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• She already sounds better just from lying flat and not at an angle in her bouncy seat. We'll see. Thanks!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You can also squirt some breastmilk into her nostrils like you would do with saline.  It works wonders!!

Anonymous

• Breastmilk in the nose. It's like a miracle cure.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You can also try a cool mist humidifier. I did that for my son when he had a stuffy nose and after about 2 days he was better.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009