What do you do if you're out of an ingredient you need?

We all run out of something.. What do you do? Do you have a close friend or neighbor you can borrow from? I live in the rural country. My friends & neighbors died. But I don't think I've ever borrowed from them. My DD lives just under 4 miles away. If she can she will come here to borrow. But packing up her 3 kids is hard enough! Just curious what you do? I spent hours searching for recipes and for each recipe I found I was missing a key ingredient! Its frustrating! I did mange to make some Fudge and some Oatmeal Scotchie Bars anyway!! Thank you fore sharing your woes!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I usually find a way to substitute the missing ingredient. Then again I'm horrible at following recipes to the tee anyway even if I have the ingredients. LOL
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have neighbors I can borrow from but they are hardly ever home... I only live minutes away from the store but to tell the truth I usually just substitute. I am pretty good at what I call "winging it" and it's pretty much my style to vear off the recipes anyway! I've had a few misses but for the most part no one knows but me! Besides, anyone who complains can have my job as head chef so I don't hear too many of those! You mama's know what I am saying!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• try to find a substitution or if all else fails and I am desperate and do not want to go to the store (6 miles away) I borrow from neighbor. I think I have only done this once, though.
    Anonymous

• I either go to the store or make something else.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I call my MIL (we live right by them) or send hubby to scrounge her cupboards, or try to find a subsitute. If neither of those works, I toss the idea. I'm just under 20 miles from a grocery store. If it was something I desperately needed I'd run out (if hubby was home and the weather was fine, lol) and get it.
    Anonymous

• get ticked off and then hop in the car to get it. i may try to subsitute but if coming out well is important, i don't unless I am very confident.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If I can't substitute and I can't get out to the store then I just don't make it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Unless it something really vital, I either leave it out or substitute. I can almost always find a way around it. I have never had anyone that I could borrow from and the store is way too far away to just go buy something.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 8:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have a grocery store about 5 minutes away. I generally either find something to make or jump in the car and go get it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If I can't get to the store I improvise.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 9:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009