Obama on abortion in health care bill, what do you think?

"I believe in the basic idea that federal dollars shouldn't pay for abortions, but I also think we shouldn't restrict womans choices"

Isn't this talking out of both sides of his mouth?

Quote right out of his mouth. From his interview with Major on Fox news.

So why are people worried about Palin talking in circles when we have a President who does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The bill cannot take away a woman's right to abortion, period. It can only effect who pays for the abortion. The "but" in his sentence bothers me. That is where the contradiction comes into play.  It IS double-talk.  Now he can claim either side of the fence. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• How is that talking in circles? Those are two different things. He doesn't want to take away women's rights, but he doesn't believe the government should pay for it. I really don't see what part of that you have trouble understanding. If somebody tells you they're not going to pay for that apple you want to eat, does that mean you can't have the apple? No, you'd pay for that apple yourself. Was that simple enough for you to understand?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It's a non answer. He can't answer it the way some of us would like because it will probably end up in the bill again. He doesn't go into detail expanding beyond the 'basid idea that federal dollars shouldn't pay for abortion'. I think it's his way of saying 'If a woman wants an abortion and can't afford one, I think government should pay for it'. I can't imagine what else the comment about not 'restricting choices' is about unless he is talking about not banning all abortion (which isn't even on the table - so this is a non issue).

Just another politician talking in circles around the real answer.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I believe in the basic idea that federal dollars shouldn't pay for abortions, but I also think we shouldn't restrict womans choices"

if that is exactly how he said it ..maybe hes speaking of different issues OR hes saying our tax dollars shouldnt pay for aobrtions BUT we cant restrict womans choices by not doing so...

I'd be more apt to believe the second because well it was in the bill
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Uhhhh, why are you all looking for some sort of hidden meaning behind this? I'm sorry, but it's as clear as day to me. Federal tax dollars shouldn't pay for abortions, but the option of having one should still be available to women. No hidding meanings, no evil intentions, no talking in circles. Again, let me dumb it down for you.

"I believe in the basic idea that federal dollars shouldn't pay for people's Wii systems, but I also think we shouldn't restrict people from getting one". See? The government isn't going to pay for you Wii, but if you really want one, feel free to go to Walmart and buy one.

Seriously, why are you looking for some shady meaning behind this? I mean, I know some people will go to GREAT lengths to try to discredit Obama on everything the man does or says, but this one is clear as friggin' daylight!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Quick google search found that taxpayers are already paying for abortions:http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/public_funding.html

Anonymous

• How is this a contradiction??

Don't spend federal dollars on abortions. Okay, got that?

Now ... don't restrict women's choice. That is: don't pass laws against abortion.

Finis. No contradiction.

( I am totally against all the actions Obama has taken as President, but truth is truth.)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I dont know maybe because we KNOW what he has done in the past...thus far..it is very clear to me that he could mean someone has to pay because if not wed be restricting their right to abort.How you cannot see that it could be taken that way is beyond me...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Mancos said what I was trying to say.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2009