I've been crying all day and I need help. How can I help my chow chow puppy stop scratching from Demodex mange? He's getting help from the vet but he looks so bad!

Asked by hanksmom0207 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Pets

• Dog Owner's Guide: Mange
    Demodectic mange is caused by Demodex canis, a tiny mite that cannot be seen without the aid of a microscope. This mange strikes puppies from three to 12 ... - 31k -

Answer by vbruno at 9:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• have you tried to give him a bath in Etiderm....I don't think its for mange but it is for skin conditions and sensitive skin. At least you've gotten him treatment, I know its hard to watch them itch so much but it does get better.

Answer by Itspartytime at 9:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You mentioned he's getting help frmo the vet...are they giving him those baths every couple weeks then? Our dog had mange a few times idea how she ever contracted it. If you decide to give your doggy a bath (and it's been ok-ed by the vet) try to use something with conditioners in it so your dog's skin doesn't dry out. Everyone seems to think tea-tree oil works lots of natural wonders for a long list of things. You might want to check that out as well :)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• In addition to what the other posters said, increase the fatty acids in your dog's diet... canned dog food has good fatty acids in it that can really help dog's dry skin. Good luck!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Did you get this dog from a breeder if so I would inform them of it . I hate to hear of this it is so sad there is no way of ridding them of this problem what did your vet say ?

Answer by Mel at 6:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2008