Does anyone know anything about cord blood donations?

I just saw a commercial for it, and am curious when they collect the blood. I'm planning on allowing my placenta to stop pulsing before we cut our baby's cord, and am wondering if that would be possible if we wanted to collect the cord blood. Does anyone know?

kestrelscall

Asked by kestrelscall at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never heard of anyone that has actually done it. I do know that it cost A LOT of money for them keep it. So I have heard.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It is very expensive. I don't know the exact procedure but here is a link:

http://www.viacord.com/

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You can donate it for free that is what I did, and then they can use it for research and such. My doctor told me how to do this. All I had to do was being in the free kit that was sent to me and then my doctors and nurses took care of the rest and sent it back to the company.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Mine wasn't offered for free. It your kid ever gets a disease that can be cured by stem cell research then they can use the blood cord to help find a cure. It cost like 1,000 if your talking about cambridge. But you can pay in payments. The payments most be finished before you have the kid.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• DONATION is free. Go to your local blood bank. They'll give you the whole process, soup to nuts. It's very very easy. All we had to do was get the kit from the blood bank and hand it over to the hospital. THe hospital and blood bank took it all from there.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• By the way...be aware. DONATING makes the cells available to ANYONE who is a match. THat's why it's free.

Paid storage reserves the cells for you and only you.

• Yeah gdiamente. That's why it's called DONATION. And no, if you wait for the cord to stop pulsating, you cant donate it. The reason that you delay cord cutting is so that all the cord blood goes back in to the baby and therefore is no longer in the cord.
    Anonymous

• If you delay cord clamping - which is a smarter option, IMO - there won't be any blood to donate. That's a LARGE portion of your baby's blood supply that he/she will have to create in the first year of life.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I was able to donate my baby's placenta which was SUPER neato thing to do. They use the membrane for people with cornea damage. One placenta membrane can save the sight of 100 people. If you hospital does it, I highly recommend looking into it. :) We actually held up my c/s so the donation lady could get there and be ready to take it since it is a very time sensitive donation.  We had planned to donate his cord blood too since we know of a child with the same ethicity who is waiting for a match, but Ike's cord was so incredibly short (less than 12 inches) we were not able to donate it.  :(

karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009