Is there anything new about Autism?

Last time I check Autism was a disorders that runs in families. And that behavior modification interventions are needed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Both of my boys have autism, and it does not run on mine or my husband's family (he has a HUGE family with dozens of cousins, nieces and nephews). I do not have Celiac Disease, neither my husband or I have/had any developmental delays in speech or during our educational careers. I had my children tested for Fragile X and a host of other genetic tests to see if a chromosomal abnormality could be detected (because both children have autism), and every test came back negative.

I believe autism IS genetic, it is NOT caused by vaccines (if anything my children have IMPROVED greatly even though they continued to receive their regular course of vaccines and seasonal flu shot). They do not have any allergies (had complete skin tests done for food and environmental allergens). They are otherwise PERFECTLY healthy, so it's really perplexing! They have no obvious "tell tale" signs. Conversational speech is their primary issue.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• With the rapid increase in autism, most kids that are diagnosed do not have anyone in their family that had it, ever. There are TONS of different therapies that are recommended (ABA, floortime, VB, hypobaric chambers, chelation, etc) along with a whole host of medications that parents try, some with success, others without.

Answer by missanc at 8:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It doesn't necessarily run in families. My son is the only one in our family with autism and no one knows where it came from. There's lots you can read about it. A quick google search with leave you with days worth of information.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My son is the only one in our family with autism and he needs alot more then just behavior mod. He is mostly non verbal at 4 1/2, has behavior issues and global delays.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 8:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I read a journal here that said that they had found an increase in autism from mothers who had undiagnosed celiacs during their pregnancy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/10/craigs-list-transaction-reveals-vast-transparency-of-cdc-.html

October 28, 2009

Craig's List Transaction Reveals Vast Transparency of CDC

After some basic banter, my friend advised the new mom to delay her child's vaccines and space them out one at a time. The mother answered "I already knew that - everyone in my office told me to do that. They all follow a delayed and spaced out schedule." My friend responded, "Where do you work?" The new mom replied, "Oh, the CDC department that handles the vaccine schedule." The CDC employee then went on to explain that the "schedule" isn't really supposed to be a mandatory schedule but more of a "window" of when one can start a certain vaccine... (see link)

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• According to a study soon to be released by the Center for Disease Control, one in 91 children are diagnosed with Autism and one in 58 boys are Autistic.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Autism is not a disorder that runs in families. Read Evidence of Harm or Louder Than Words.....
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 9:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

I hope this doesn't sound selfish but when I hear these new #s it almost makes me feel more hopeful because the more kids with it the more $ that will get put into finding better treatments and/or a cure for my son. He is lower functioning so I pray for something that can help him lead as close to a "normal" life as possible.
    Anonymous

• I do believe it's genetic.

I have Aspergers, my son has Aspergers, my father has Aspergers, as does my grandfather, possibly an uncle and great grandfather. I have two cousins with moderate/severe Autism, and my youngest is showing traits as well.
    Cymbeline

Answer by Cymbeline at 10:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009