Any mothers out there who is a sonography tech??

I'm interested in sonography, but not sure if i should go to a community college or go to a training school like Platt or Everest. I'm in the San gabriel valley in California. I've been doing some research but i'm really confused. Where did you go to school? where do u work and how long did it take you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• i'm an mri tech and i went to a school just for mri years ago, now they have radiology schools everywhere. As long as the school is accredited for radiology you'll be fine. its a great career to have. where i work, we do sonograms, mri and ct scans. the sono tech does alot of different scans, like, OB, scrotal, carotid and she loves her job. I live in NY, the program was 2 years long and it goes by really quick, some of that time is spent doing an externship, training on the machine. I hope that this helps.
    Anonymous

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• This is the 1st anon. as long as the school is accredited, doesnt have to be college, you'll be fine. Accredited meaning that they are recognized by the ACR (american college of radiology) They are the ones that go around all the facilities in america making sure the scans are up to par and that all of the techs are certified. sono, the registry you have to take is from rdms. Cat Scan is also cool, that registry is from arrt. in NY starting salary is around $30-32/ hr. its a great career. gl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2009