will your opinion of a person change after you find out about what religion they practice or don't practice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd say for the most part no since religion is not important to me, unless they belong to a radical following like the Westboro Church.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I suppose that depends on the relationship I have with them already. If I found out my BFF was secretly sacrificing animals to one of her Saints from Santeria I might change my mind about asking her to feed my cat for me when I go out of town, LOL!

For the most part, if a friend and myself have completely differing beliefs we usually just avoid that topic of conversation out of respect for eachother. If we can politely inquire of eachothers beliefs without getting into an "I'm right, you're wrong" debate, that's fine. Make sense?

What's your answer, OP?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have to say yes. However that is just my personal experience. There have been times when I found out about a persons religion because they told me of lectures or classes their church was sponsoring that preached about why Catholicism is false. Being Catholic and hearing that definitely changed my opinion of them and made me more cautious around them

Anonymous

• only if it was a religion that requires some sort of animal sacrifice or an abusive ritual. other than that (or something horrible i cant think of right now) im pretty open & a person's faith has nothing to do w/ my opinion. now their way of going about their religion...that may change my opinion of them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• probably, but i'm not sure its an opinion that would change. i might find out something is so intolerable to myself that i don't want to be around that person. if its just a point of contention, i would just choose my conversation topics more carefully. some people walk around with a billboard of sorts on their sleeve that leaves nothing to the imagination about what kind of person they are. to me, that kind of person is looking for opposition out of a desire to be the alpha dog. and i'm not usually attracted to such strong personalities.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It depends. It won't change dramatically, of course. If someone says "I'm a Christian." I'll think "Alrighty then." and we'll move on. But if someone says they're agnostic or atheist, I'll usually flip out and be like "OMGAH YOU TOO?!" because in my "social circle", honest nonreligious people are hard to come by. A lot of my friends are still scared to talk about religion. We're still young. Give it a few years ;D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No, I don't think so. None of my friends are the same religion as me and it's not an issue. There are some issues that change things for me (for instance, just found out one of my friends is having an affair and I'm having a hard time respecting her right now) but religion isn't one of them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• religion has nothing to do with why a persons my friend or not- so no it wouldn't change my opinion about them.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 9:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Generally not. Depends on whether I think the beliefs in question are outrageous.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• nope.never...people have stopped talking to me for my religion though :(

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2009