Vitamin K Shot

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the vitamin K shot? I am thinking about not getting it for my baby but I am not sure. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would say do not get it. They have death as side effect on their manufacturer's insert. If you are formula feeding there is vitamin K in the formula. If you are nursing then you can eat foods high in vitamin K like kale, spinach etc. here is a site for foods high in vit K.
    http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/vitamin-k-foods.htm

If you are worried about vitamin K deficiency in your newborn you can order natural vitamin k at www.birthwithlove.com

here is the insert
    Warning by Merck on their own product!
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070213093306/http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2003/03Feb_PI/AquaMEPHYTON_PI.pdf
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I didnt know you could deny it. I took a lamaze class and they said they didn't need the parents permission to give it! Wow thanks for bringing this to my attention
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• just a warning too they may want you to get the Hep A vaccine at birth!!!! It upsets me bc no matter what you feel about vaccines, they wont give babies antibiotics at that age, but will put the Hep virus in them????? you can decline that as well, just dont sign that paper unless they put declined on it!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Answered at 8:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 by: firethearson
    I didnt know you could deny it. I took a lamaze class and they said they didn't need the parents permission to give it! Wow thanks for bringing this to my attention

you can decline any meds. no vaccines are required in our country :)
    Anonymous

• My son got the Vit K shot, BUT we did it because we had him circed. He didn't have any reaction to the shot then and he seems ok now, he will be 2 soon.
    Anonymous

• anon at 9:24 here: we refused to do the hep A vaccine because, I don't do drugs, we have clean running water and DS umbilical cord was cut with clean and sterilized scissors. If you do drugs or you don't have clean water or your baby's cord is cut with dirty scissors then you need the vaccine.

Anonymous

• I opted out of all 3 things they routinely do in a hospital: vitamin K shot, eye goop and the hep B vaccine. Go onto your states site and get the exemption.If not write one up and have it nortorized-they will take you more seriously if you do. It is not mandatory.

Anonymous

• OP here-thank you all for answering. We read the insert and said no way to the shot. I plan to load up on veggies and nurse. :-)
    Anonymous