How are you going to cook your bird??

This is my first yr. cooking a turkey and I have a pretty clear idea on what I am going to do, but just wanted to ask you ladies how you cook your turkey? By cooking I mean seasoning, stuffing, all the details you want to mention plus how you are actually going to cook it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• fried
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Roast,
    a few years ago i was reading the paper and a recipe called for 1/2 to 1 cup (depending onsize of turkey) of orange juice injected into the turkey using one of those injecter things you get in kitchen utensil ilse. the acid in the juice breaks down the meat so it is nice and tender and juicy.
    i injected it in several different areas of the turkey
    Anonymous

• deep fried the only way to go
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Like this.  Love the smell of turkey in the house. 

Anonymous

• I'll brine it overnight, then fill the cavity w/a mix of aromatics (fresh herbs, spices & apples), then roast it. The brine is the primary seasoning, but the aromatics during roasting are important for the final flavoring. Once the bird is done, I'll pull it out of the oven & "tent" it w/foil for about 10 minutes to help the juices settle back into the bird, then I'll carve it. I don't stuff my turkey b/c of how I season it, but the nobody complains about it being baked on the side.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Ever since I tasted DH's fried turkey, that's all I want. It's so tender and juicy, not dried out like baked. It also frees up the oven for the dressing and fixings! Can't wait!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We fry that beast! Oh so good!!! DH gets kept busy. Friends pay him in beer to fry theirs too! Last year just for our family we fried 2 turkeys and also had a whole honeybaked ham. This year I am looking for the smallest bird out there, just us for Thanksgiving, not all 50 of the extended families!
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "This year I am looking for the smallest bird out there, just us for Thanksgiving, not all 50 of the extended families!"

You can buy just the turkey breast which is about the size of a large chicken and is plenty of food for one family... unless you have someone who really likes dark meat I think it's the way to go for small holiday gatherings :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

I am the only white meat lover in the house, plus you can't fry just the breast as well as the whole bird. Although we have smoked just the beast. Yummm

littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 9:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2009