My 23 month old wont stop playing in his own feces.

Feces is disgusting enough to clean off of a bottom, especially a little one's, but my son has been playing in his since he was about a year old, maybe a little sooner. He wipes it on the walls, himself (even mouth!), and just all over. He's going to be 2 next month, and he just did it again yesterday. I don't know how to approach discipline for this. I can't figure out how to make it stop. All my parents can tell me is, "well watch him better." But the thing is, he does it quietly before he wakes us up, or he does it when we think he's taking a nap. We've been trying to potty train, maybe he thinks he's trying to wipe himself? But he's been doing it for so long, way before attempted potty training. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• MY DD LOVED BEING NAKED ...SO WE DUCT TAPED HER DIAPERS OVER THAT TABS SO SHE COULDN'T GET THEM OFF ....I THINK IT WOULD HELP !GL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• THE*
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I thought about that, but wasn't sure. I think he could pull it off though. He's always tearing things apart.
    Anonymous

• duct tape or a onesie put his diaper on backwards place a potty in his roomsmack his hand and raise a fit have him help clean while you complain and then toss him in the tub, just a phase it'll pass
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Occasionally, my ds pulls his pants down and poops on the floor. Sometimes, he cleans it up and sometimes he puts his toys in it. I have cleaned the carpets twice in the past month. I have to do it again. It is so frustrating. He is getting better. Although he is still doing it, he doesn't do it as much as he used to.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well I tried the onsies and pants over them, it doesnt seem to matter, he goes up the pants legs and undoes the snaps, or pulls the pants off and goes through the onsie. It's very annoying. I haven't tried a back ward diaper,(or duct tape) but I don't know, he might end up making a worse mess. He wont help me clean it and I do put him in the tub right away. He does get his little butt busted (obviously not hard but he does). And if he pulled down his pants and pooped on the floor, I dont know which would be worse. That's just plain awful. I don't see why kids do these nasty things, it's disgusting and I can't imagine tastes/feels good on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2009