My son isn't aloud to school because they don't want him to draw too much attention to himself.....

Ok, so my 10 year old son has an issue with one of his eyes, he is seeing an opthamologist for it. He is going to the doctor every other day. One of the eye drops dialates his eye so the doctor wants him to wear sunglasses to protect the eye. Well, I was told that my son isn't aloud to attend school while the sunglasses are needed because they would attract too much attention to him. How does this make any sense?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• they can't legally deny him.It's a law that all children under 16 have to be in school. Plus if you get a note from the dr saying why he wears them then you have a better leg to stand on.You know what will shut them up is tell them your calling your lawyer.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 10:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• They say this all the time. I think they are assuming if he wears them then all the kids will want to wear them and it will be a big hassle. I would pitch a fit. He has a medical need and they are not making reasonable accomodations for his medical need. You need to say it like that. It is a legal term. Reasonable accomodation.
    Tell them he goes to school, he goes to class and they cannot keep him out without denying him his right to school.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Umm, I'm pretty sure they can't do that.
    Anonymous

• They cant do that if it has been medically prescribed. I agree with Susie...you'd better pitch a HUGE fit!

I would start by calling the Dr who told your son to wear them. See where he says to go from there.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• They TOTALLY can't do that! They're just being lazy!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 9:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I'm a certified teacher. While sunglasses are of course against dress code, if your son has a doctor's note that shows a legitimate need for the glasses, the school must allow him to wear them unless of course this is a private school.

Sure the other kids will want them too, but a teacher should be able to handle it by simply explaining the situation to the class.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2009